Guide to ColdFusion Administrator Extensions

Earlier today I wrote up some thought I've had recently on writing ColdFusion Administrator extensions. You can find the guide here. It basically covers what the docs talk about but also details some tips and tricks that developers may want to know about. I also listed all the known CF Admin extensions and hope that people can suggest a few I forgot.

So I know like a grand total of 4 or 5 people actually write these things, but maybe this will encourage others to create their own.

Comment 1 by John Blayter posted on 11/14/2008 at 9:18 AM

Ray,

Thanks for the information. I didn't know about the XML document and setting the cookie. I have been cranking out custom admin extensions for a couple of years now and found that they are awesome for server setup and business recovery. I can get a new developer up and running with a complicated application in about 3 minutes to setup tons of mappings, custom tags, and over 100 data sources.

Another extension I created was to do a server snapshot so when you are in a crunch you are only 2 clicks away capturing what is going on. Oh ya, and another one that has been valuable was one that clears the template cache, cached queries, calls the garbage collection.

- John

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/14/2008 at 5:21 PM

I approved your RIAForge submission and I added the URL to the guide.

Comment 3 by Steve &aposCutter&apos Blades posted on 11/14/2008 at 7:10 PM

Hey Ray, you've got a code tag showing in your xml examples in the article.

Comment 4 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/14/2008 at 7:17 PM

Thanks. Fixed.

Comment 5 by Andy Sandefer posted on 11/14/2008 at 7:24 PM

@Ray
I'm working on a CF based product and this is extremely valuable to me as I can now add my own custom sub menu to the CF admin geared towards our product. Great stuff - thanks for the post!

Comment 6 by todd sharp posted on 11/14/2008 at 7:35 PM

Very nice article Ray. I like how you made a page on the blog out of it. Well done.

Comment 7 by Yaron Kohn posted on 11/18/2008 at 12:18 AM

Ray, Thanks for the props!

Comment 8 by dawesi posted on 9/5/2016 at 4:06 AM

link broken.. bah. ;-)

Comment 9 (In reply to #8) by Raymond Camden posted on 9/5/2016 at 1:58 PM

Let me see if I can restore it.

Comment 10 (In reply to #8) by Raymond Camden posted on 9/5/2016 at 2:42 PM

I've republished it as HTML here: https://static.raymondcamde...