YouTubeCFC and update to the CFHTTP Tag

For a while now the YouTubeCFC component has not been able to upload videos to YouTube. While it worked fine when initially released, some engineer at YouTube decided to tighten up some code some place and that change revealed a bug with ColdFusion and CFHTTP when doing multipart form posts.

To fix this bug, Adobe has released a hot fix that actually adds a new attribute to the cfhttp tag (great, the WACK is now out of date): multiparttype

Here is an example of it in use in my CFC:

<cfhttp url="#theurl#" method="post" result="result" multiparttype="related">

If you try to use the CFC without the hotfix, you will get an attribute validation error for the tag. The hotfix also includes a fix for ColdFusion 7. I want to give a big thank you to Adobe's Michael Collins and the other engineers who worked with me to get this corrected. (Well basically I complained, they fixed, and I tested, so the work was all them!)

The CFC had a bit of cleanup as well. I'm finally getting comfortable with the "Google way" of thinking when it comes to their APIs.

Comment 1 by Henry Ho posted on 11/4/2008 at 4:09 AM

Cool, so you got Adobe to fix a bug you discovered?

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/4/2008 at 7:10 AM

In this case, yep.

Comment 3 by Carl Steinhilber posted on 11/12/2008 at 4:52 AM

Ray,
I installed the hotfix (cfadmin reported that the update was successful), copied in the new tablib (file date of taglib in the WEB-INF\cftags\META-INF directory is now 9/23/2008, as expected), restarted my CF server, restarted WAMP, and I'm still getting the following error while trying to run the test_embed.cfm included with the archive:

"The tag handler http does not have a setter for the attribute multipartType specified in the Tag Library Descriptor."

What am I doing wrong??
Thanks!
-Carl

Comment 4 by Carl Steinhilber posted on 11/12/2008 at 5:58 AM

Ummm... neeeeevvvermiiind.
The server I was testing the hotfix on wasn't yet updated to 8.0.1.
Updated to 8.0.1, and THEN ran the hotfix, and everything is perfect now.
Thanks!
-Carl "It must be getting late"

Comment 5 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/12/2008 at 7:51 AM

I've got an update coming out later this week that fixes a few problems, so watch out for it.

Comment 6 by Jordan posted on 3/18/2009 at 7:29 PM

I wanted to try your google CFC so applied the hotfix. But now have problems in other applications on the same server using the CFHTTP.

In particular I am getting the error :

Does this mean I need to edit all existing uses of this tag to include the multipartType attribute with its value being form-data?

Thanks in advance.
Jordan

Comment 7 by Raymond Camden posted on 3/18/2009 at 7:36 PM

Sorry, not sure on that one. I certainly didn't see that issue when I applied the hotfix (done it to 3 machines so far, 2 Mac, one Windows)

Comment 8 by Steve posted on 4/3/2009 at 12:33 AM

I'm actually seeing the same error on my end... and not just with this CFC, with other stuff that is doing CFHTTP calls as well. Running 8.01 (made sure of that before installing the hotfix). Think the next step is going to be to get in touch with Adobe to see if they can offer any light on this.

Comment 9 by Matthew Walker posted on 5/24/2009 at 2:20 AM

Did you try restarting the ColdFusion service. My hosting company had the same issue and I believe this is all they did to resolve it.

Comment 10 by Jelle Kralt posted on 6/7/2009 at 4:19 PM

Are you sure you installed the hotfix correctly? Did you use the .zip file to update or did you unpack the .jar file? When the hotfix isn't selected correctly but you do update your taglib you will get the error Jordan posted.