My Wife Kicks Butt...

And I'm not just saying that because she reads my blog. ;) Since Todd bragged on his wife a few days ago, I thought I'd do the same. While this isn't tech related, it means a heck of a lot to me and I'm incredibly proud of her.

This month she will be returning to college to pursue a sociology degree. While I've dreamed of returning to college as well, I know it would be pretty darn intense, ok, scary, to be around all those kids. I can still remember going out till 2AM and showing up to an 8AM class and having the 'old guy' (who was probably younger than I am now) smirk at me.

Along with reentering college, she was accepted on the board of directors at our local Families Helping Families branch. Our family has experience in dealing with disabilities, my wife especially, so this is a group that she can really help.

So ok, I know 99.99% of you have no idea who my wife is, but hey, be proud with me!

Comment 1 by todd sharp posted on 8/8/2008 at 12:10 AM

That _is_ awesome. As someone who spent 9 years in college myself I know what its like to be one of the older students in class. It can be intimidating but she (and you) should be proud! Sociology was one of my favorite classes!

Also awesome on the Families Helping Families thing! Wow where does she find the time?

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/8/2008 at 12:11 AM

No kidding - especially since I'm pretty useless. ;)

Comment 3 by Alirio Boquín posted on 8/8/2008 at 12:13 AM

Good luck my friend.

Comment 4 by Brian Swartzfager posted on 8/8/2008 at 12:21 AM

My wife's also returning to school this fall, as a Ph.D. student in the Cell Biology and Molecular Genetics program at the University of Maryland (where I work). She's really looking forward to it.

Comment 5 by Gary Funk posted on 8/8/2008 at 1:57 AM

Ray, we know how much you kick butt, and we know you wife is far "much more gooder betterer" than you so we can only imagine how much se kicks butt. Congratulations to you and her. You truly are a great inspiration.

Comment 6 by Eric Knipp posted on 8/8/2008 at 1:57 AM

My wife already has two masters' degrees. I am going back to school in the Fall for an MBA because if I don't she might figure out how underqualified I am to be married to her ..

Comment 7 by Luke Kilpatrick posted on 8/8/2008 at 2:00 AM

My wife has 1 year left before she gets out and tries to save the world with green power systems. I am very proud of her as well. Hope to meet your family someday at a company get together.

Comment 8 by David Jumeau posted on 8/8/2008 at 2:09 AM

My wife takes care of five kids, and is involved in my church community that caters to university and college students. She kicks butt too! And she packs a powerful punch on my right arm. Ouch! It's nice to have wives that kick butt.

Comment 9 by Jared Shields posted on 8/8/2008 at 3:37 AM

Yayyy!!! Congrats to you both :-)

I can't wait for my gf to start med school... And I'm happy as hell that I just started back at school again... Such a ... rewarding feeling, school can be.

Comment 10 by Terrence Ryan posted on 8/8/2008 at 4:49 AM

That's awesome, not just that she's doing that, but that you are so proud of her... as you should be :)

Comment 11 by Esmeralda Staheli posted on 8/8/2008 at 5:30 AM

Wow! That's awesome =). Congrats to your wife, sociology is a great and honorable field!

Comment 12 by Gary Gilbert posted on 8/8/2008 at 11:19 AM

@Eric

I am in the same boat, though she already knows I'm underqualified :)

Comment 13 by Rey Bango posted on 8/8/2008 at 9:50 PM

Many congrats to your wife Ray. To be honest, any woman married to guys like us should be put on a pedestal. The fact that they deal with our late night coding sessions, long weekends, writing, etc is testament to their commitment.

Comment 14 by Lola LB posted on 8/9/2008 at 3:56 PM

Wow . . . good for her! You should plan something special for when she gets her degree.

Comment 15 by Christopher Walker posted on 8/15/2008 at 12:03 AM

Ray I know where you are with this. About 2 years ago my wife went back to get her Masters so that she can work from home and be with the kids. It very inspiring. So much so I have decised to do the same. You might be sutrprised to see all the 40-somethings in classes these days, so there is still hope for you.

Comment 16 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/15/2008 at 12:06 AM

Just to add a quick note to this.

A few days ago I went with my wife and eldest rugrat to pick up her school ID and a last book. (She actually ordered most of her books online - talk about unfair - I remember waiting for HOURS to check out.) I can't describe the amount of memories that came back to me being on campus, especially of the book store (long waits and all).

Oh - and to add to the cool factor - I noticed that one of the texts for ENGL 102 was...

Watchmen

How freaking cool is that?

Comment 17 by Brian Swartzfager posted on 8/15/2008 at 12:33 AM

You made me curious enough to look at the book lists for the introductory English classes at the university....as I suspected, nothing as cool as "Watchmen." :)

But I was happy to see that my old Shakespeare professor was still teaching.