CFUNITED - Internals of the Adobe ColdFusion Server

I just sat through "Internals of the Adobe ColdFusion Server" by Eliot Sprehn. This was probably the most fascinating class I've taken at cfunited. Eliot talked about - well - everything behind the scenes of your ColdFusion code. This included some rather interesting information about why certain operations are slow. I'll also say that he has convinced me that 'cheating' (ie, using hidden methods of these internal CF objects) is not as bad as I had thought. He made the point that as long as all your code uses one utility method that had the 'cheat', if CF upgrades to a new version where the cheat isn't needed, you can just replace the cheat with the proper code.

Anyway - you get the point. I'd highly recommend checking out his presentation. I just checked - you can watch the presentation here. This was definitely one of the best surprises for me at this conference.

(And sorry for the slow blogging today - got a killer of a head cold, which should make my presentation tomorrow fun.)

Comment 1 by Mark Mandel posted on 6/21/2008 at 7:32 AM

Ray,

Any idea if he will do that over connect somewhere?

I'd love to see the talk, but you can't see if without a CFUnited membership :(

Comment 2 by Michael Long posted on 6/21/2008 at 1:13 PM

Ditto. The link just takes you to a sign-in page.

Comment 3 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/21/2008 at 2:37 PM

Yeah sorry guys. I thought they were open to all. I'm going to ask Charlie to see if we can get him for the online meetup.

Comment 4 by Sean Corfield posted on 6/21/2008 at 5:50 PM

I'll second Ray's evaluation that this was the most fascinating session of the conference and we really do need to get Elliott to do this online for a recording for everyone.

Comment 5 by Charlie Arehart posted on 6/21/2008 at 6:09 PM

I've dropped him a note and hope we can arrange it soon. I had to miss it helping some folks so am looking forward to a repeat myself! :-)

Comment 6 by Qasim Rasheed posted on 6/21/2008 at 6:42 PM

Well said Ray as this session was definitely the pick of CFUnited. Elliot definitely have spend incredible amount of code. Here is the link to a PDF of an old session that Elliot has done.

Very interesting

Comment 7 by Canadian Bacon posted on 6/22/2008 at 9:14 AM

Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend Elliott's session this year. I heard though it was amazing! Glad you had a good time.

Oh! You misspelled his name. It's Elliott. 2 L's and 2 T's.

Comment 8 by Dan Vega posted on 6/22/2008 at 9:49 PM

I will just add my vote to the list. What a great presentation and I think Sean put it best by saying "Clearly Elliot has too much time on his hands". Great stuff and I hope we can get him to record this for others to see.

Comment 9 by Dan Wilson posted on 6/23/2008 at 4:57 PM

Once I get past the login page, login and re-click the link, I get an octet-stream download. Is there, perhaps, a missing file extension?

DW

Comment 10 by Elliott Sprehn posted on 6/23/2008 at 6:57 PM

@Dan Wilson

Fixed now.

Note to self, double quote Content-Disposition headers with file names that have spaces!