ScopeCache on RIAForge

Last night I released ScopeCache on RIAForge. This isn't new code. It's the caching custom tag I've had for a few years now. Charlie Arehart mentioned to me that it wasn't possible to find the code anymore (outside of BlogCFC), so now I have a place for folks to find it.

I also did some small updates to it, including giving it the ability to cache in the request scope.

For folks who don't know what this tag is, it's a basic way to quickly add caching to a page. So imagine the following slow code:

<cfset sleep(9000)> Done sleeping.

I can cache the result of this code (the output) by adding the custom tag:

<cf_scopecache scope="application" name="mycodeisntslow" timeout="3600"> <cfset sleep(9000)> Done sleeping. </cf_scopecache>

Pretty simple, right? There are more options of course. See the documentation in the tag itself.

Comment 1 by John C. Bland II posted on 2/28/2008 at 9:28 PM

Can I put the cache in the application scope but in my cache struct inside of that scope?

ie - application.cache.mycodeisntslow vs application.mycodeisntslow

Thanks.

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 2/28/2008 at 9:31 PM

John, I read your question twice - and I still don't get it. What are you asking?

Comment 3 by Aaron Lynch posted on 2/29/2008 at 3:16 AM

I think he is asking if he can store the cached data in a struct of his own choosing.

In other words, instead of just scope="Application", there could be an optional attribute of structName...

scope="Application" structName="cache"

That is my take on it at least.

Comment 4 by Raymond Camden posted on 2/29/2008 at 4:28 AM

Well, if so, the answer is no. ;) You can't dictate _where_ in the scope stuff is cached.

Comment 5 by Charlie Arehart posted on 3/1/2008 at 1:21 PM

Thanks for posting it, Ray. I've now updated my pointer to it (along with many other CF-based caching solutions--and several dozen other CF tools) at:

Comment 6 by Nate posted on 5/23/2008 at 2:56 AM

I just learned about this custom tag today and it's really helped me out in a big way. Many thanks for this great work of yours. I've got a question. When would you want to use this with the request scope. I can understand how this is used in the application of server scope, but I can't imagine how it's useful in the request scope.

Comment 7 by Raymond Camden posted on 5/23/2008 at 4:55 AM

I honestly can't think of a great reason to use the Request scope for the cache, but since it was so easy to add support, I figured what the hey.

Comment 8 by Nate posted on 6/2/2008 at 8:42 PM

Can you think of a reason why some code fragments inside a cf_scopecache tag might randomly get repeated when first cached? Clearing the cache seems to correct this problem most of the time.

Comment 9 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/2/2008 at 10:51 PM

Yes, I can think of a way. Maybe the tag gets confused and both caches and lets the original output through.

I don't see this here, but if you can try to make a reproducible case, I'd definitely appreciate it.

Comment 10 by Nate posted on 6/4/2008 at 1:49 AM

It turns out that my problem had absolutely nothing to do with Scopecache. It was a problem in a SQL query and I was simply confused because I made that change at the same time that I added your Scopecache.

I have a new question for you / feature request.
Let's say Scopecache caches 10000 code fragments and the memory/size of those variables starts taking up too much RAM. Might it be a nice feature to automically clear 2000 or so variables(those variables with the smallest hit count) when that happens?

Comment 11 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/4/2008 at 5:39 PM

Yeah, that would be nice. I'd like to have a optimize type action that takes a 'strength' (ie, how much to clean) and the tag will clear out based on hitcount/last used type values.

Comment 12 by Nate posted on 8/8/2008 at 9:50 PM

Here's another feature request if you ever find the time for it...

How about a way to save the cache and restore it at a later time after a server is shutdown and restarted? Keeping a history of the cache on a daily or weekly basis would be a very nice feature.

Comment 13 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/9/2008 at 12:00 AM

Ah, so basically, cache to the file system. In theory, you could do expires="never" then.

Log a bug request for this at RIAForge. (If I didn't turn it on, bribe me with a beer and I'll do so.)