Simple math tricks with ColdFusion 8 Ajax tags

A reader yesterday asked me an interesting question. Using ColdFusion 8 and bindings, is it possible to do simple mathematics? For example, he wanted something like this:

<input type="text" name="res" bind="{field1}*{field2}">

While that isn't possible, you can do it using cfajaxproxy. (Oh my sweet cfajaxproxy - is there anything you cannot do???) Consider the following example:

<cfajaxproxy bind="javascript:doMultiply({first},{second})" /> <script> function doMultiply(x,y) { document.getElementById("result").value = x*y; } </script>

<form> <input id="first" size="3"> X <input id="second" size="3"> = <input id="result">

</form>

The form has 3 fields. The first two are for the numbers I'll be multiplying. The last field is for the result. I use the cfajaxproxy tag to bind to the first two fields. I run the JavaScript function, doMultiply, whenever first or second changes. And that's it! I should probably add a check to see if x and y are numeric, but you get the idea.

Comment 1 by Chad posted on 2/21/2008 at 8:30 PM

This week i have heard a lot of praise about CFAjaxProxy so i looked it up in the docs and i am really impressed.

To tie an asynchronous connection to a CFC is SO COOL!

Looks like you have to brush up on your Javascript skills to use it to the fullest, but that is not a big hurdle.

I am going to take my CF8 upgrade request back down to the CFO and see if i can get my servers upgraded.

Comment 2 by Dan G. Switzer, II posted on 2/21/2008 at 9:29 PM

Yesterday I posted a video on my blog of a jQuery Calculation Plug-in I've been toying with in my free time:

It allows you to easily build dynamic calculations to your pages.

While it's not CF-specific, jQuery is very easy to get started with.

Comment 3 by Dan Sorensen posted on 2/21/2008 at 10:11 PM

Way cool Ray! :-)

I was looking for a way to do that this week. Thanks for the tip. :-)

Comment 4 by Christopher Walker posted on 2/25/2008 at 9:32 PM

That little trick works well an I put it to work.

Here is something I've been banging my head against a wall about lately. This is easy I'm sure but I'm bogged down with my own head cold I can't figure it out.

If I start with a number that is a ceiling, say 2500, is there a way to get cfajaxproxy to limit the two boxes to the sum of 2500. for example in box 1 as I start typing numbers the box 2 would dynamically change to the difference of what is being typed into box 1 from the ceiling of 2500.

Comment 5 by Raymond Camden posted on 2/25/2008 at 9:38 PM

That's just different math. Instead of a = x+y, it's y = 2500-x. Where x and y are the two boxes, and A is the result. You wouldn't need a 3rd box actually, just the two.

Comment 6 by Joshua Hublar posted on 2/26/2008 at 3:40 PM

/Very/ interesting.

Comment 7 by David Wilson Brown posted on 2/28/2008 at 1:33 AM

Dare I ask if anything can be done to utilize this trick in a Flash format Form?

Comment 8 by Raymond Camden posted on 2/28/2008 at 1:34 AM

BLASPHEME!

THOU SHALT NOT SPEAK OF THE FLASH FORM!!

Comment 9 by David Wilson Brown posted on 2/28/2008 at 1:36 AM

Yikes!

Guess i'm barking up the wrong format ;-)

Comment 10 by Christopher Walker posted on 2/28/2008 at 1:58 AM

Here is a challenge. The following code works perfectly, but the 'result' box doesn't change until the focus is taken out of the textbox you are changing. I though onKeyPress would fix that but it doesn't. Any ideas?

<cfajaxproxy bind="javascript:doMultiply({first},{second})" />
<script>
function doMultiply(x,y) {
document.getElementById("result").value = x*y;
}
</script>

<form>
<input id="first" size="3" onKeyPress="javascript:doMultiply();"> X <input id="second" size="3" onKeyPress="javascript:doMultiply();"> = <input id="result">

</form>

Comment 11 by Raymond Camden posted on 2/28/2008 at 2:04 AM

Change line 1 to

<cfajaxproxy bind="javascript:doMultiply({first@keyup},{second@keyup})" />

Comment 12 by John Jackson posted on 6/20/2008 at 8:47 PM

If you want to do the binding math in a Flash Form (which is easier IMHO), here are some examples:
<cfinput type="text" label="Total: " name="field4" size="7" height="20" bind="{Math.round((Number(formname. field1) + Number(formname. field2) + Number(formname. field3)))}" >
Or
<cfinput type="text" label="LTV: % " name=" field11" size="17" height="20" bind="{Math.round((formname. field10/ formname. field9) * 100)}"