Sending in my first XBox360

Well, looks like I'll be sending in my XBox 360 this week. A few weeks ago the back USB port died. No big deal. I can live with my wireless network hanging off the front of the box. But before that - and for a few months - my disc tray has been a bit... sticky. Tonight it finally died. I click the button to open the drive and it just makes a 'whirring' noise before giving up. I do know how to manually open it, but that won't do for day to day game play. I don't mind spending the 99 bucks to get it repaired - but now I have to figure out what to do about my saves. I have a lot of saved games on this thing, and I'm willing to bet Microsoft won't guarantee my hard drive will remain the same. Should I just pick up one of those memory cards?

Comment 1 by Yves posted on 11/26/2007 at 7:18 AM

Ray, take a look at this device: http://us.codejunkies.com/s...

Comment 2 by Chris posted on 11/26/2007 at 7:49 AM

If it's a 360 as listed, you don't send in the hard drive. Just the main unit and nothing else.

Comment 3 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/26/2007 at 8:10 AM

Ah - I forgot that in 360, the hard drive is detachable. I should just go buy an Elite. Let's see if my wife will go for that. ;)

Comment 4 by Justin Carter posted on 11/26/2007 at 8:10 AM

Yeah, as Chris says, they will tell you to detach the HDD and faceplate (if you have a custom one) and send back the bare box only. All your saved games should be safe :)

I had to send mine in for repair about 12 months ago when I got hit by the RRoD. The turnaround time for mine was just 6 working days, and I got it back just in time for the Gears of War release.

Comment 5 by Russ Johnson posted on 11/26/2007 at 10:04 AM

My son just got the ring of death on our 360 this weekend. My 5 year old was playing Halo 3 when it happened and his entire profile was either deleted form teh HDD or corrupted to the point where it doesnt show up in the list. Thats about 10 months worth of him playing that he lost. He was so upset about it.

You guys know who to contact about sending it in? Its less than a year old now.

Comment 6 by James Marshall posted on 11/26/2007 at 2:23 PM

My 360 PSU died on Saturday. I'd only just turned it on and there was loud cracking sound, probably caused by something arcing inside the unit. After that the console wouldn't power on. I'm going to buy a new PSU from eBay though, as it's cheaper than getting mine repaired (plus I don't want to be without my Xbox during December)!

Comment 7 by Todd Rafferty posted on 11/26/2007 at 5:14 PM

I had the red ring of death. Luckily, I had a best buy replacement plan and they sent me a in-store credit card to get it replaced. Just so happened to be the same day that the elite price was lowered. So, I didn't do to bad.

Comment 8 by Todd Rafferty posted on 11/26/2007 at 5:15 PM

@Russ, contact Microsoft. They increased the warranty from 1 year to 3 years due to all the malfunctioning complaints.

Comment 9 by Emmet posted on 11/26/2007 at 7:48 PM

For those that have one. Best Buy Product Replacement Plans for the Xbox are now honored instore. Jut bring it in and swap for a new one or get a store credit. Worth the plan price since 4myXbox is taking up to 12 weeks to replace systems now.

Comment 10 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/26/2007 at 7:51 PM

Update:

Just got off the phone. My xbox is still under warranty, which is nice. My back usb had died about 2 months ago and when I called then they wanted to charge me - but now it's all free.

The sad news is that the turn around time is 3-4 weeks. :( A whole month w/o my xbox. Too bad I can't rent one. I guess I won't be playing Mass Effect anytime soon.

Comment 11 by DK posted on 11/26/2007 at 8:26 PM

I waited to buy my elite until they put out the epoxy on the board and the extra cooling etc. No problems so far /crosses fingers.

Comment 12 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/26/2007 at 8:33 PM

You know, the Elite _is_ on my wish list. I need to drop some hints. ;)

Comment 13 by Dan G. Switzer, II posted on 11/26/2007 at 11:26 PM

My 360 got the Red Rings of Death a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately, I bought the 2 year replacement plan from Best Buy (I bought before Microsoft went to the 3yr warrant.)

Anyway, the great thing is I was able to take the 360 in to my local Best Buy and they swapped units out right there in the store. I was able to pull my Hard Drive off and swap it with the unit in the store.

Since it's a new unit, I get HDMI output and the newer cooling system.

The topper to the whole deal is, BestBuy for some reason gave me a refund since the price had dropped. I ended up getting a new 360 and $40 gift card. Pretty nice!

I won't buy extended store warranties on all items, but for any game console I definitely think it's a must. Especially with all these units that run hot (XBOX, PS3, etc.)

Comment 14 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/27/2007 at 1:29 AM

Another Update - wife surprised me and said to go ahead and get the elite. I've got it up and running with my old hard drive. I was a bit surprised to see that the hard drive transfer kit wasn't included, but I just have to fax in a form.

Comment 15 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/27/2007 at 7:38 PM

Maybe it's just my imagination, but the Elite seems to be about half as noisy as my original 360. I faxed my form for my hard driver xfer kit. I'll post back when I get it.

Comment 16 by Kyle Dodge posted on 11/28/2007 at 11:49 AM

What do you think about the 360 Elite Ray? Today I came home and got the 3 rings of death! I'm sending it back to Microsoft to get fixed but from what Ive been hearing about the Elite being less noisy, cooler and better with the HDMI out I'm thinking about picking one up and selling the old one.

Comment 17 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/28/2007 at 5:42 PM

So far so good. As I said, the only real disappointment was that MS didn't include the hard drive cable kit and made no mention of it in the docs (not that I saw). I have no idea when Ill get the cable, but, I'll give MS props for making it easy to swap out drives.

Comment 18 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/4/2007 at 12:22 AM

Well I have to admit - I'm surprised. I got my hd xfer cable today. My last comment was on the 27th - so it took 6 days. Not bad at all!