AIR gets a logo

My readers know I'm a big fan of Adobe AIR. I have not had the time to play with it lately as I would like (although I am working on something a bit special with a friend) but I still encourage folks to check it out. Mike Chambers just announced on his blog the final AIR logo, and as we all know, you aren't a product without a logo:

Now a slightly less happy comment. Adobe - when I went to Labs to grab the correct URL for Adobe, I was assaulted with audio. Please, please, please remove the 'auto-play' video. Nothing is worse then opening a web page and having your music mixed with some video content I didn't even request. As we all know, the Magizine-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named made the same mistake. It is rude to intrude on your visitor's computers that way! Personally I consider it the #1 sin you can make on a web page. (#2 being forms that don't keep your old content when you make a submission mistake.)

Comment 1 by rocky posted on 11/15/2007 at 9:30 PM

The same audio-play happens on ESPN and it drives me crazy! The only way around it is to refresh ESPN again so you don't have to hit the pause button.

Comment 2 by James Allen posted on 11/15/2007 at 9:31 PM

Oh god yes! The site that shall not be named used to make me want to rip out my hair - one at a time. How rude to assume that we want to be subjected to the same advert on *every* page request. Just thinking about that makes me angry. My speakers are *my* business - not that of a website I am visiting..

Ok rant mode off.. :)

Adobe should definetely remove this 'feature' though.

Comment 3 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/15/2007 at 9:32 PM

I should add - the video IS cool - it just shouldn't auto-play. Or auto-play with audio.

I can't believe clients actually think this is a good idea for sites.

Comment 4 by Tom Chiverton posted on 11/15/2007 at 9:34 PM

I can't believe a company like Adobe that is so proud of the 'experience', of the 'content is king' mantra, did it !

Comment 5 by Aral Balkan posted on 11/15/2007 at 9:54 PM

Oh well, I've given up on Adobe being able to make cool logos.

Comment 6 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/15/2007 at 9:58 PM

@Aral: Really? I like it.

Comment 7 by Chris posted on 11/15/2007 at 10:40 PM

Reminds me of a doggie frisbee my friend had for his pet.

Comment 8 by Jason The Saj posted on 11/15/2007 at 10:42 PM

I think it's okay...but I really kind of want something more..

First off, it is very different from the traditional "F" logo. And I only think the logo is useful if they plan to keep that shape as a symbol. If they change it in the next version - then it's uber-stupid.

That said, I am a bit corny. But I kind of want to see an "Earth, Wind, Fire, Water" them.

Adobe AIR = Wind, take the object and make it look like it's windy.

As for the other's, I haven't completely worked them out. *lol*

Flash = Fire or it could equal Water (Flash Flood).
Flex = Water (fluid, flexible, etc)
ColdFusion = Water (cold fusion, heavy water, etc) or perhaps Earth.

But I guess we should all just be grateful that Adobe AIR did not get named "Flair". :P

Comment 9 by existdissolve posted on 11/15/2007 at 10:49 PM

I still wish they had stayed with Apollo. That was a super-cool, retro-ish logo.

Comment 10 by Rick O posted on 11/15/2007 at 11:03 PM

I'm just trying to figure out the what is hiding behind the logo such that it produces that shadow. (The shadow around the bright spot for what I presume is the hole does not rejoin on the left.)

I think Mike's next job should be to make an AIR app where you can grab and twist the logo to see what is back there.

Comment 11 by Andrew Powell posted on 11/16/2007 at 12:39 AM

They must be learning how not to do a website from sys-con. :)

Comment 12 by Steve Glachan posted on 11/16/2007 at 5:29 AM

@Andrew: Sys-Con's obsession with audio content is the main reason I hesitate to go to their site. Well, plus, I just don't like the way it's designed. But the audio/video! Arg! I've always wondered why it's taken so long for them to realise nobody likes it... $$.

Comment 13 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/20/2007 at 7:27 PM

I just thought I'd add - I just went to Apple.com, and they have auto play on their home page, and I don't think I even saw a pause. Ugh. Maybe one day Flash will have a built in mute.