ColdFusion 8 Eclipse Extensions now available separately!

Wow, I'm very happy to see that the ColdFusion 8 Extensions for Eclipse (RDS, Log Viewer, Debugger, etc) are now available separately. In the past you could only get them with Flex Builder. You can now download them here:

ColdFusion Downloads

Also note a separate download for documentation in Eclipse. Those of you using that other editor (Dreamsleaver is it?) or HomeSite+ (folks, it's time to let go) will also find their downloads there as well. (And yes, I'm teasing guys. Please no hate mail.)

Comment 1 by Steve posted on 7/31/2007 at 5:41 AM

Oh no, more crappy plugins to add the load of crap in Eclipse

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 7/31/2007 at 5:49 AM

Not exactly sure what you mean.

Comment 3 by David Boyer posted on 7/31/2007 at 3:00 PM

Installed and working fine except I can't seem to get RDS working anymore. Possibly due to using Eclipse 3.3? Anyone else got RDS working with this new download and 3.3?

Comment 4 by Raymond Camden posted on 7/31/2007 at 4:25 PM

It is working for me. You may want to be sure you removed everything from the previous version correctly. Outside of that - I'm out of ideas.

Comment 5 by David Boyer posted on 8/3/2007 at 11:50 AM

Cheers Ray, you sent me on the right track. I had created a totally separate install of Eclipse, fresh plugins for everything but I accidentally used a previous workspace that I didn't think existed. Used a fresh workspace location and RDS sprang into life. :)

Comment 6 by charlie griefer posted on 8/5/2007 at 9:22 PM

hmm... i'm using Eclipse 3.3, and the RDS file view works... but the RDS dataview does not :\

i can see the tables, but when i go to open the RDS query viewer, i get "Error opening the editor. Reason: The file does not exist".

ray (or anyone else)... can you confirm that the query viewer works with Eclipse 3.3?

Comment 7 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/6/2007 at 5:12 PM

I'm seeing the same. :( I've pinged Adobe on it and I'll try to update here when I can.

Comment 8 by Connie DeCinko posted on 8/10/2007 at 2:44 AM

Is there any place I can see screen shots? How does this compare to CFEclipse?

Comment 9 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/10/2007 at 3:36 AM

Connie, this is not something to compare to CFEclipse. This is a set of tools you can use with CFEclipse, or by itself. The tools include:

RDS File - This allows you to open files on a CF server and edit them there.

RDS DB (and I may not be naming these right) - Allows you to view datasources. You can see your dsns, and see the tables and columns in them. You can write SQL and see what the results are. If you are Windows, you can build a query visually.

Log Viewer - lets you monitor CF logs.

I'm probably forgetting something - but those are the ones I use.

Oh - there is a CFC Explorer as well I think.

There is also an app wizard (windows only) that lets you quickly prototype an application.