Modified version of Zoids custom combo box to allow preselected value

Wow that title sounds complex. If you don't remember, a few hours ago I blogged about an article that Boyzoid wrote about how easy it was to do a custom component in Flex 2. His example added a new method to ComboBox, selectedItemByValue.

What if you wanted to set the selected item when the component is created? I made these modifications to Zoid's code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <mx:ComboBox xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" creationComplete="checkSelected()">

<mx:Script> <![CDATA[ [Bindable] public var defaultSelectedValue:int;

public function selectedItemByValue(val:int):void{ for (var i:int=0;i<this.dataProvider.length;i++){ var item:int = this.dataProvider[i].data;

if(item == val){
		this.selectedIndex = i;
		break;
	} else{ this.selectedIndex = 0;}
}

}

private function checkSelected():void { selectedItemByValue(defaultSelectedValue); } ]]> </mx:Script>

</mx:ComboBox>

Note first the use of creationComplete in the top tag. That just means - run checkSelected() when done. I then created a new public variable named defaultSelectedValue. My checkSelected function simply then calls the function Boyzoid had written. This then lets me do the following in the calling code:

<comp:customComboBox dataProvider="{comboData}" id="myCombo2" defaultSelectedValue="2" /> <comp:customComboBox dataProvider="{comboData}" id="myCombo3" defaultSelectedValue="3" /> <comp:customComboBox dataProvider="{comboData}" id="myCombo4" />

Not sure if this is best practice or not - and I did guess at a few things, but I thought I'd share.

Comment 1 by Scott Stroz posted on 11/23/2006 at 5:29 AM

Ray - That is exactly why I created that custom component to begin with.

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/23/2006 at 6:52 AM

Scott - how did you do it? Did I do it right? I mean it works obviously - but do you have any suggestions?

Comment 3 by Ben Forta posted on 11/23/2006 at 9:05 AM

Here's another solution: http://www.forta.com/blog/i...

Comment 4 by Mike Nimer posted on 11/23/2006 at 11:27 AM

You should check out the com.adobe.ColdFusion.BindableCombobox and ..BindableList components that are generated when you run the ColdFusion/Flex application wizard too.

It does the same thing, except it does it by adding 1 new property "valueField" to know which property of the dataprovider 'objects' to compare against. And it sets the data value by overriding the selectedItem property.

Comment 5 by Mike Nimer posted on 11/23/2006 at 11:27 AM

Comment 6 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/24/2006 at 7:04 AM

Thanks for the pointer Mike. Is there a "CFLib for Flex" yet?

Comment 7 by Mike Nimer posted on 11/25/2006 at 7:57 PM

not sure, however, there is a developers exchange for flex on adobe.com. (last I checked there was only 1 entry).

Comment 8 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/25/2006 at 8:02 PM

I'll write a blog entry and see what it fleshes out. There -must- be one somewhere. I can't believe there wouldn't be.

Comment 9 by prashant shelke posted on 2/16/2007 at 2:11 PM

hi.

i have problem regarding showing checkboxes in custom combobox in order to do multiselect functionality.

can u please help me ?

thanks in advance.

Comment 10 by Don Kerr posted on 8/17/2007 at 2:10 AM

Has anyone modified this for dataGrids with allowMultipleSelections?

I have several cases where I need to pre-select default items in a dataGrid.

default items come from my CFC. For example, mydefaults.dataProvider is a query containing CategoryID, Category.

mydataGrid.dataProvider also contains CategoryID and Category.

Seems like I'd need to do a nested loop comparing the mydataGrid.dataProvider[i].categoryID to defaults.dataProvider[j].categoryID? or is there an easier way?

I love Flex! But...ColdFusion sure did make life easier with CFSELECT!

Don

Comment 11 by Daniel Villalobos posted on 7/23/2010 at 1:18 AM

Hi everybody, Thanxz for your Example is Great!

I modified to This:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<mx:Script>
<![CDATA[
[Bindable]
public var defaultSelectedValue:int;

public function selectedItemByValue(val:int):void{
var item:Object;
for (var i:int=0;i<this.dataProvider.length;i++)
{
item = this.dataProvider[i];
if(item!=null)
{//id= attribute of object.
if (item.id == val)