Try Flex (no, really, go ahead and try it)

A new site just launched: http://try.flex.org. It lets you write MXML in the browser and generate the result. Now you don't even have to download Flex to play with it. It was built with Flex (obviously), ColdFusion, and Spry.

Comment 1 by todd sharp posted on 10/30/2006 at 3:43 AM

Very cool. Interesting how quick the compiled example comes up.

Did they mention anything about the future of flash forms at MAX Ray? I didn't see any mentions during the conference.

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/30/2006 at 3:47 AM

At the Meet the CF Team they were brought up - and I believe they said nothing in particular was planned - but I could be mistaken.

Personally I can't see me using FF much anymore now that Flex is free.

Comment 3 by Steve Walker posted on 10/30/2006 at 4:24 AM

I actually asked the question at the "Meet the CF Team" session and the answer was a pretty emphatic "NO". They (the CF TEam) do not think that there is any benefit to adding improved functionality to CF Forms with Flex 2 available. Their argument has always been that what we have been able to do with Flash Forms was never intended and had Flex 2 been available at the CF 7 was released, Flash Forms may have never come to pass. I was a little disappointed, but then I went to Ben Forta's session on CF and Flex, and I will be the first to say that they have a point. Flex and CF are a very powerful combination.

Comment 4 by todd sharp posted on 10/30/2006 at 6:24 AM

Agreed and all good points - my biggest concern is Adobe pulling them (FF) from the product since I have some production sites that would be in big trouble. I'm still fairly new to all of this (2 yrs) - is that a valid concern, or no?

Comment 5 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/30/2006 at 6:43 AM

I've RARELY seen Allaire/MACR/Adobe remove a function. I can think of only one example - the advanced security functions. I think it is safe to assume FF will be in CF for years to come.

Comment 6 by Ben Forta posted on 10/30/2006 at 7:32 PM

Todd, we'll not remove it. Really. And we are considering allow it to do more, removing some of the restrictions imposed on the allowed AS code. But we'll not break what works.

--- Ben

Comment 7 by todd sharp posted on 10/30/2006 at 7:35 PM

Thanks Ben - One question, will the engine be "upgraded" to 2.0?

Comment 8 by Ben Forta posted on 11/1/2006 at 6:52 AM

Todd, not looking likely. I am not saying no, but we have yet to find a compelling enogh reason to run the risk.

--- Ben