Announcing RIAForge

So - I've been dropping hints left and right over the past few weeks about a "secret project" that I've been working on, and today I finally get to announce it. Please say hello to RIAForge.org. What is RIAForge?

RIAForge is a place to host open source projects built with Adobe technologies - from ColdFusion applications to Photoshop plugins to Flash ActionScript libraries.

What I really like about the site is that you can use it as much or as little as you want. As an open source author, you can simply list your project and point to the resources you already have. But what if you don't already have a web site?

RIAForge offers:

You can pick and choose which, if any, services you need. The site is still going under a bit of development, so you will definitely see a rough edge or two. (Firefox users, see PS at bottom.) But check it out - and if you have code to share, PLEASE post your project.

This site is Adobe supported and was the brainchild of Ben Forta. I did the primary development work with a lot of help and support from others, including Brian Rinaldi and Rob Gonda (SVN support is all from Rob, and will be a hosted project shortly.)

p.s. Firefox users: You may see a "white screen" when saving edits to your project. This is a known issue and is being worked on.

Comment 1 by Kyle Hayes posted on 10/18/2006 at 5:54 PM

Let me be the first to give 2 thumbs up and a standing ovation. Very nice, Ray! I cannot wait to dive into it!

Comment 2 by Steve Bryant posted on 10/18/2006 at 5:57 PM

Ray,

This looks neat!

Will you have a search feature or some way to facilitate finding projects when the site has several of them?

For CF projects, what is the major difference from cfopen.org (sorry if I am missing the obvious).

Thanks for all the hard work! It looks great!

Comment 3 by Sid Wing posted on 10/18/2006 at 5:58 PM

Nice NIce NICE! SO... Is RIAForge OS Software?

Comment 4 by Ben Nadel posted on 10/18/2006 at 5:59 PM

Ray, it looks really nice. Excellent design. Very clean looking.

Comment 5 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/18/2006 at 6:01 PM

Sid: No - but it's really just a butt load of CMS. Technically I don't think it is all that cool. The SVN stuff is though and it will be it's own project.

Comment 6 by John Farrar posted on 10/18/2006 at 6:01 PM

Yes this is nice. Will be blogging about this good work, glad you got it up in time for MAX!

Comment 7 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/18/2006 at 6:02 PM

Steve: Search is coming, yes. CFOpen: This is just an alternative. Nothing wrong with having choices. :)

Comment 8 by Teddy R Payne posted on 10/18/2006 at 6:10 PM

Ray,
Awesome work. I see that you have integrated BlogCFC and Galleon. What other technologies of yours did you use? I find this a great example of reusing code and creating a project suite. Any thoughts to creating a unified open source collection?

I like the look and feel of RIA Forge. The site really inspires me to create a project to share with others.

Thanks for your work as usual, Ray.

Cheers,
Teddy

Comment 9 by tanguyr posted on 10/18/2006 at 6:18 PM

Hi Ray,

If i leave out the "www" (ie http://riaforge.org/) i get redirected to Flex.org...

just FYI.

/t

Comment 10 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/18/2006 at 6:18 PM

It also uses LighthousePro (for bug tracking).

Comment 11 by Chris H posted on 10/18/2006 at 6:25 PM

very nice, can't wait to see all the cool projects hosted on it.
thanks to all the developers!

Comment 12 by raf posted on 10/18/2006 at 6:59 PM

Ray, who did the design?

Comment 13 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/18/2006 at 7:08 PM

A contractor with Adobe. Rick Santos.

Comment 14 by Ben Forta posted on 10/18/2006 at 7:19 PM

Thanks for all the comments guys!

One thing we can really use your help with is finding more projects, especially non-CF ones. I fully expect the initial projects to be very CF focused, and that's great. But the site also needs stuff in the other categories (Flex, Flash, Dreamweaver, etc.). If you have any ideas, or know of projects that could be a fit, let us know.

Thanks!

--- Ben

Comment 15 by Dan Sorensen posted on 10/18/2006 at 8:09 PM

What type of projects did you envision for Photoshop? Brushes and Actions, that type of thing?

Comment 16 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/18/2006 at 8:16 PM

Yep. And that right there compromises my ENTIRE knowledge of photoshop, so please add to that anything else that makes sense. :)

Comment 17 by Ben Nadel posted on 10/18/2006 at 8:22 PM

Not to be the one to stir up problems here, but why no FireWorks projects? I personally subscribe to the idea that FireWorks is much better for US WEB DEVELOPERS (disclaimer disclaimer disclaimer, grumble grumble grumble).

Comment 18 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/18/2006 at 8:25 PM

Absolutely no reason. I'm going to add a few more categories soon. I'll add this to the list.

Comment 19 by Teddy R Payne posted on 10/18/2006 at 8:26 PM

Also, there needs to be a seperate category for ActionScript. Cairngorm and the recent work by Peter Ferrel on AS stubs would be attracted to this.

Comment 20 by Ben Forta posted on 10/18/2006 at 8:26 PM

Dan, gee, like I'd know. ;-) Photoshop supports plug-ins, take a look at http://www.adobe.com/produc.... That is definitley one place to start. There may be more.

Ben, agreed, we need to add Fireworks as well as InDesign and Illustrator and more. We'll get there.

--- Ben

Comment 21 by Ben Forta posted on 10/18/2006 at 8:27 PM

Ben, BTW, if you love Fireworks (I do, too) then you absolutley need to be at MAX next week. ;-)

--- Ben

Comment 22 by Ben Nadel posted on 10/18/2006 at 8:30 PM

Ben, I WISH I could, but I have deadlines like you WOULDN'T believe :( (not to mention an unhealthy fear of flying). Luckily though, you guys come to NYC sometimes and I am always at those meetings.

Comment 23 by Ben Nadel posted on 10/18/2006 at 8:31 PM

Ben, but I did get the v.9 Beta and have been playing with it. So far, liking it :)

Comment 24 by Neil Middleton posted on 10/18/2006 at 9:08 PM

Any chance of some RSS feeds broken down by category? This sort of information would be useful on feed-squirrel.

Comment 25 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/18/2006 at 9:11 PM

Neil: Absolutely. Added to my bug tracker.

Comment 26 by William from Lagos posted on 10/18/2006 at 9:21 PM

Hi Ray,

tanguyr is right. http://riaforge.org redirects to http://www.flex.org.

You need to chekc this out.

Comment 27 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/18/2006 at 9:25 PM

Nod - we know. :)

Comment 28 by Emmanuel Okyere posted on 10/18/2006 at 11:18 PM

interesting; ton of responses and no mention of osflash yet... **ducks**

Comment 29 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/18/2006 at 11:26 PM

Emm... there _are_ other sites out there like this. I don't think variety of choice is a bad thing. :)

Comment 30 by Sid Wing posted on 10/18/2006 at 11:29 PM

Ray... {pout} I've been working on building such a framework (about a month now)... Was just trying to keep from re-inventing a wheel... Would rather just chip square edges off a wheel to make it work for our needs...

Comment 31 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/18/2006 at 11:31 PM

Why stop? I'm a big fan of alternatives. :)

Comment 32 by David Harris posted on 10/19/2006 at 1:03 AM

Very good.
Now I just have to think of something worth doing a project for!

...I have to admit.... a bit confused on "RIAForge"....was only expecting "RIA" stuff (Flash platform and Ajax/dom) to be there...

How was RIAForge settled on?

Comment 33 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/19/2006 at 1:18 AM

Long story David. The name may change in the future.

Comment 34 by Sean Corfield posted on 10/19/2006 at 5:47 AM

I already posted a long comment over on Ben's blog so I won't repeat myself here...

Comment 35 by Rob Gonda posted on 10/19/2006 at 6:25 AM

I agree that the domain may be a little misleading, but the idea behind it is great. We may add aliases in the future. Great job Ray!

Comment 36 by Mark Mandel posted on 10/19/2006 at 10:50 AM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

BEST THING EVA!!!

Moving Transfer over in the next couple of days, NO DOUBT!

*does the happy dance*

You guys rock.

Comment 37 by Tuyen posted on 10/19/2006 at 7:58 PM
Comment 38 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/19/2006 at 9:24 PM

Tuyen, what link is broken?

Comment 39 by Sam posted on 10/20/2006 at 5:47 AM

Ray's Interesting Art Forge....., yeah I think a better name is needed. ;-)

Comment 40 by Tuyen posted on 10/20/2006 at 6:44 AM

on SQL Admin page: http://sqladmin.riaforge.org/, the demo URL is http://www.iflex.com.cn/?sq... which is broken.

I found the correct URL should be http://www.flexsqladmin.com/

Tuyen

Comment 41 by Tuyen posted on 10/20/2006 at 7:09 AM

Ray,

Is that posdible that we could get read-only access to the riaforge.org svn repository? (I just want to learn more about model-glue framework). The petmarket MG application isn't enough example for MG because the search function is broken (the only feature has controller)..

Tuyen

Comment 42 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/20/2006 at 7:17 AM

Tuyen - you want to contact the project admin. Not me. I'm not going to be able to fix stuff like tht. (Well I could, but it is not my responsibility.)

Yes - I will share the code. I just want to get it polished more.

Comment 43 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/20/2006 at 10:58 PM

RSS feed is up. Right now it is just the latest projects - but soon there will be category specific items up.

Comment 44 by digg posted on 10/23/2006 at 5:57 PM