Eclipse Tip: Go Into

I found this a few weeks ago, and I thought I'd share it with folks. In your Eclipse navigator, if you right click on a folder and select, "Go Into", the navigator will reload with only that folder being available. This is an excellent way to quickly hide the rest of the navigator. It's also useful for presentations. I tend to find myself searching for files (no matter how well I document ahead of time), and restricting Eclipse to a subset helps narrow the search.

Comment 1 by Paul Roe posted on 8/31/2006 at 2:51 AM

You can also do something like this by setting up working sets, except with working sets you can choose to hide specific files or folders in the directory that you are working so it's a little more flexable.

Comment 2 by dan posted on 8/31/2006 at 5:03 AM

Selecting working sets is really the way to go. I like sets because if im working on a project that I have tied to a repo I can have that in my set as well as my coldspring,reactor,and model-glue folders right there. This is a very good tip for quick and dirty work though, thanks!

Comment 3 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/31/2006 at 5:14 AM

Interesting. I use working sets - but I use them as a way to group my projects (typically Current and Old).

Comment 4 by William from Lagos posted on 8/31/2006 at 9:18 PM

Cool. BTW, how do I get my "avatar" to show up in my comment?

Comment 5 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/31/2006 at 10:01 PM

Sign up at gravatar.com and then say a prayer. It took me 2 months or so. I plan on creating a replacement soon.

Comment 6 by Gijs from Netherlands posted on 12/19/2006 at 2:30 PM

You might want to have a look at the Mylar subproject of Eclipse as well. Uses contexts and tasks to keep you going. First meant for Java (class and method level), but works for me very fine on file level.
(eclipse dot org slash mylar)