Flex 2 Class

So, first off, let me be clear. The class I'm talking about below is a class from my company, roundpeg, so please don't think I'm trying to be sneaky. (I'm a bit too slow to be sneaky.) But due to my intense love for Flex 2 (I haven't felt this way since I picked up ColdFusion back in the old days), I wanted to let folks know about a class we are offering:

There are a few neat things about this class. First - it is one of the first Flex 2 classes out there. Secondly, it is over Breeze. It is in 10 sessions of 4 hours each over 10 weeks. Each session is on a Friday so it is perfect for people who are too busy to take off complete days from work.

Comment 1 by John posted on 5/24/2006 at 7:17 AM

Roundpeg offers great classes. I've taken the Flex 1.5 class. Though this online format you miss the great food in San Francisco.

Comment 2 by Steven Erat posted on 5/24/2006 at 4:53 PM

"Consecutive class sessions will be held every Friday from 9AM to 1PM for 10 consecutive weeks beginning June 9th."

Is this US/Pacific time?

Comment 3 by Steven Erat posted on 5/24/2006 at 4:58 PM

Sorry, I should have held my questions for a single comment post...

"Course Fee: $1,995.00 Friday, Jun 09, 2006- Friday, Jun 09, 2006 (1 Day)"
"Consecutive class sessions will be held every Friday from 9AM to 1PM for 10 consecutive weeks"

Does this mean that $1995 buys four hours of training on one day? Or forty hours of training at the rate of four hours over 10 Fridays?

Thanks!

Comment 4 by Raymond Camden posted on 5/24/2006 at 5:15 PM

It is 10 sessions. The date range you see is an error. And yes,it should be pacific. (afaik)

Comment 5 by Jeff posted on 5/24/2006 at 5:35 PM

What exactly is the appeal in Flex? I don't understand. If it requires a plugin on my browser, I really have no interest. I don't care for Flash or anything else that can't be viewed on certain OS's or environments. Is Flex something different entirely?

Comment 6 by Raymond Camden posted on 5/24/2006 at 5:39 PM

Jeff, you don't care for Flash? Why not? Saying that it can't be viewed in 100% of all platforms/browsers seems a bit extreme. Last time I checked, I believe Flash penetration was around 98%. That certainly seems good enough for me.

Comment 7 by Doug posted on 5/24/2006 at 7:50 PM

Flash and it's 98%. That was built in the dark days before everyone worried about security. It used to be if you visited a web site that had a Flash (skip-intro) movie, that Flash would be installed with very little user involvement. Those days are gone or they should be gone.

With all of the new advancements of Flash will it still be an easy install and will it be safe? Version 9 is an Active X object for IE and a plug-in for FF. Either way this is another open door to the user's computer. I doubt anyone wants Adobe to be another un-secure Microsoft. Many of us have fought with Adobe Acrobat Reader and it installing other software. It is my understanding that Adobe has said it will bundle Flash with Acrobat Reader. I do not view this as a good thing. All of these things do not lend themselves to maintaining that 98%. As I see it, Adobe's hope will be the already in-place use of Flash. In other words if the user wants the content of a Flash page, the user will have to pay the price. This gives a new meaning to the term 'Rich Internet Experience'.

Take a look at Adobe's Spry JavaScript libraries (http://labs.adobe.com/techn.... This would seem to have much more potential than Flash. There is no install, or additional doors to the user's computer. Worst case scenario is the user has to turn on JavaScript, which now is on by default.

What is Adobe doing to maintain Flash's ease of use and making it safe? And/Or will Adobe make Flex work more with JavaScript?

Comment 8 by Randy posted on 9/21/2006 at 4:56 PM

Has the "Flex 2.0 - Creating Rich Internet Applications at BeST (Breeze eSynchronous Training)" class starting Sept. 29, 2006 been cancelled?

Comment 9 by Raymond Camden posted on 9/21/2006 at 5:55 PM

I'm forwarding your email Randy.