Flash 8 and Firefox Problems?

For the past few weeks now I've had issues with Firefox. Almost daily it crashes on me. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what I had changed. I even uninstalled/reinstalled this morning. When I had yet another crash, it suddenly occurred to me. My crashes started after installing the Flash 8 beta. Yes, I know it is a beta, but is anyone else also having this problem? I'm going to roll back to 7 for now.

Comment 1 by Sami Hoda posted on 8/31/2005 at 1:30 AM

Ray,

I did have a similar problem, but it had to do with some Ad Blocking extensions in Firefox, especially FlashBlock not liking Flash 8. Uninstalled AdBlock and FlashBlock, uninstalled Flash 8, reinstalled, and it works now.

Sami

Comment 2 by AZ posted on 8/31/2005 at 1:50 AM

Indeed, here's a quote from the FP8 beta FAQ:

"Firefox with Adblock: The Adblock extension to Firefox blocks Flash content from displaying in Flash Player Public Beta. In order to view Flash content, you will need to uninstall the Adblock extension. "

AZ

Comment 3 by eokyere posted on 8/31/2005 at 2:19 AM

i doubt if this one is b'cos of player 8, as I was experiencing it even with 7; this tip here: http://fusion94.org/archive..., as well as many others, point to explicitly setting the browser cache limit--that solved it for me

hth, eokyere

Comment 4 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/31/2005 at 2:30 AM

Thanks eokyere. Even if this isn't the fix, I _have_ seen Firefox suck up a lot of memory. Good idea.

Comment 5 by Brian Rinaldi posted on 8/31/2005 at 5:07 AM

I have also had this problem and do not have Flash 8 yet...but having done alot of Flash work lately I was able to become relatively sure it was related to Flash player as it was the only common element in every crash. It seems to happen most often when I click around to another page or refresh quickly before the movie has fully loaded.

Comment 6 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/31/2005 at 5:13 AM

Brian, that sounds exactly like what is happening with me. Hopefully the memory leak fix I did will help.

Comment 7 by Gizbo posted on 9/16/2005 at 2:53 AM

sorry for my english...
the problem is adblock..
solution: adblock preferences->adblock options->disable "obj-tabs".
bye!

Comment 8 by Tony posted on 9/24/2005 at 4:03 AM

Hey, thanks Gizbo, that fixed my problem w/Adblock & Flash 8! Much appreciated!

Tony

Comment 9 by Chris posted on 11/7/2005 at 8:28 PM

Can update Adblock to 0.5.2.054 and that solves the problem as well.

Comment 10 by Technobeatz posted on 11/4/2006 at 11:23 PM

I have a problem that when i go on to places like myspace it brings this popup that says "shockwave flash has performed an illegal operation, you are strongly advised to restart firefox" and it will usualy freeze after so often, how do i make it go away!?

Comment 11 by Vigdis posted on 4/7/2009 at 4:04 PM

My firefox freezes every time I try to open a site that uses flash (for example uses flash for loggins, or uploads of pictures, etc).
I tried to do the memory leak thingy, but it didn't work. I've checked for AdBlock, as people say that is the cause, but can't find that I have it (at least it's not where it's said to be, and I can't find it anywhere)

Any ideas?