Hey, MTV Plays Music! (Who Knew?)

So, I'm watching the MTV Video Music Awards. Well, not really. I DVRed it and I'm fast forwarding through about 95% of it. Frankly, the whole "Diddy" thing is so ridiculous that I just can't stand it. Really the only good thing about the show is the Beavis and Butthead clips.

However - there is something interesting going on. MTV is running a new set of commercials based on old wives tales. One, for example, involves the saying that you shouldn't make a face because it could stick.

So what's the point of the campaign? That not everything you hear is true - including the "rumour" that MTV doesn't play music.

Um.... gee.... who would have thought that? Maybe it's because you don't play music anymore. Or when you do, you have screaming teenagers doing "shout outs" during the video. Or you only play part of the video. Or you play about, oh, 10 or so videos over and over again.

But really, I swear I'm not a bitter old man who fondly remembers the old days. Really. Back to the Weather Channel.

Comment 1 by Ian Sheridan posted on 8/29/2005 at 7:53 AM

HA! I saw the same darn commercial! and the dvr let me read what I found as funny as you. literally it said, "MTV does not play music videos". I was like "ha HA!" the truth comes out!

Just had to comment on that. I was astonished when I saw that.

- Ian

Comment 2 by Damien posted on 8/29/2005 at 5:19 PM

That's why there are stations like Fuse, MTV2, etc.

Comment 3 by PaulC posted on 8/29/2005 at 6:21 PM

120 Minutes introduced me to half of the cool music I listened to in high school. And when they did non-music stuff back then, it was good. Anyone remember The Maxx, Liquid TV, and The Real World (Season 1) before it was about some spoiled brats getting drunk and sleeping with each other?

Comment 4 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/29/2005 at 6:28 PM

Same here. There were many bands I "learned" about from 120 minutes, and you are right, the non-music shows were good - when they were kept to a minimum.

Comment 5 by Ali posted on 8/29/2005 at 9:12 PM

MTV2 plays music too?
I don't think there is ANY music channel anymore.
VH1 is an extension of E! now.
Last time I checked MTV2 had some crappy shows on it.

Comment 6 by Damien posted on 8/30/2005 at 1:21 AM

I must admit that I don't actually have cable/satellite TV so I'm a little behind the scene, but last I checked (at my inlaws) Fuse was still mostly music-based. MTV2 I can't vouch for, its been a while since I've watched it.

Comment 7 by J Beckman posted on 9/3/2005 at 6:22 AM

I like your statements about MTV. I basically think MTV is a big joke these days. It is absolutley ridiculous that it should even be refered to as MTV. Although they may be going along with the idea of opposites. Like when you call a big guy "Tiny". And I tell you what I am bitter about it and I am getting somewhat old oh well. I do think the prgrams they show could actually suck the intelligence right out of you. Anyways thanks for letting me vent here since I couldn't find a comment section on the MTV website.