Lord of the Dance

So, I recently got a new PC. (Yes, I chose PC over Mac, but more on that later.) It came with Windows Media Center Edition 2005. Various folks said this was pretty much the same as XP Pro, and from what I can tell, it certainly is. I simply don't run the Media Edition programs and as far as I can tell, I'm on an XP Pro box (except the default theme is a bit nicer).

So anyway - I was a bit bored today and I went looking at the programs that came with Media Center. I saw something curious.... "Windows Dancer."

I ran the program... and all of a sudden a little woman popped up on my desktop and started to dance.

As the music changed, her pace changed. My first thought was what a stupid waste of time this program was... but then I noticed something... I couldn't stop watching. The dancer uses a hip hop style, but MS has others you can download as well.

What's wierd is how well this thing works. In general, she moves to the beat perfectly. It's only wierd when something non-hiphop/techno is playing. When Cocteau Twins came on - she danced in time - but it just felt wrong.

I can't help but wonder how cool it would be if this was like one of those Japanese toys... you know... the virtual pets?

Ok - it's still stupid... but for the life of me I can't kill the program.

Comment 1 by tfitch posted on 5/26/2005 at 3:39 AM

Wow. If you watch it long enough you'll probably forget your middle name.

Comment 2 by Scott Stroz posted on 5/26/2005 at 4:33 AM

Now I know why MS is having difficulties delivering on its promises for Longhorn.

BTW - I also know that Ray uses Norton Security, Trillian and Ad-Aware. He listens to his music with iTunes and likes to keep IE where FireFox can keep an eye on it.

I wonder how accurate a psychological profile can be created by analyzing their desktop...hmmm..

Comment 3 by O?uz Demirkap? posted on 5/26/2005 at 5:13 AM

I have seen "real" "Lord of the Dance" in Berlin and they were GREAT!

Comment 4 by tony petruzzi posted on 5/26/2005 at 6:43 PM

I heard the next Media Center version comes with a dancer that dances to club music on a brass pole and a slot you can insert dollar bills into. ;)

Thank you, I'll be here all week.... tip your waitress.

Comment 5 by Ryan posted on 5/26/2005 at 8:52 PM

>> on a brass pole and a slot you can insert dollar bills into. ;)

Oh great, as if Microsoft didn't already have a penchant for getting our $20s, now they have a top notch way to drain us of our 1's! Good grief, think they will have Dell add a new 'memory' card reader on our machines that reads our credit cards, or will the Passport service just debit our accounts directly...10 cents per Spam received!

Comment 6 by Jeff Wilkinson posted on 5/26/2005 at 11:42 PM

guess your productivity just took a major dive, eh? ;-)

Comment 7 by PaulC posted on 5/27/2005 at 1:42 AM

Ray, I'm disappointed you didn't get the Star Wars edition Alienware box.

Comment 8 by Raymond Camden posted on 5/27/2005 at 1:52 AM

Too expensive. I got the Dell for next to nothing.

Comment 9 by Tank Abbott posted on 5/27/2005 at 7:36 PM

You said "...I chose PC over Mac, but more on that later". I'd like to hear more about this curious choice!

Comment 10 by Raymond Camden posted on 5/28/2005 at 12:04 AM

Tank:
I think mainly fear. I was worried about sinking 3-4k into a platform that _sounds_ awesome, but that I have no experience with. The more I looked at the Mac Mini, the more appropriate it seemed. It's much cheaper. And, it serves the immidiate need I have of needing a way to test Safari for web projects. If I fall in love with it - I can then migrate next year or so when I upgrade again (I just love buying new computers as tax write offs.)