Design this Blog

This blog sucks. I mean, not the information, but the design. It's horrid. It's boring. I have had folks offer to help me out (and I appreciate it!), but I'm just too lazy.

So, here is a challenge for someone bored. If you can give me a new design for this blog, something I can just extra from a zip and go with, I'll give you.... um.... well.... nothing. But I will give you a link. I'll also praise you and tell member of the opposite sex that you are either a) smart, b) super strong, or c) all of the above. I'll flatter you on a post that contains the best Google keywords so your name shows up all over the web.

Really.

So - anyone up to it? Some guidelines:

When I say I just want to extract a zip - I mean it. You should simply overwrite the CSS, the index.cfm, and the pod layout code. I don't really care much about the popups for comment editing.

I love green. Something green would be nice. Not poopoo green as my two year old would say, but dark, warm greens like Hunter Green or "I'm an Important Guy with an Expensive Dark Office" Green. While it isn't very green, this is a good example of the kind of shading, font style, etc, I'm looking for.

Keep the title text if possible. I'm thinking of renaming the blog, so having that part as text would be helpful.

Comment 1 by Steven Erat posted on 3/19/2005 at 6:38 AM

Look for my upcoming blog post, "Build me a house"!

My townhouse sucks, and I'm can't scrape together the 6 figure downpayment for a home in my neighborhood.

I, too, like green, and no not that poo poo green either. I was thinking sea foam green with black trim. Oh, and it must have shutters, a Brady sunroom, and a pool table in the basement. While I'm not so interested in the sweaty thugs in the front yard, this ( http://tinyurl.com/4vzcq ) is a really awful example of what it shouldn't look like.

So build me a house and I will give you a link from my blog.

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 3/19/2005 at 10:06 AM

Oh come on. You are just jealous that your blog isn't as cool looking as mine - what with my stylish use of blue (well, two shades of blue ) and.... err... white - and black. My design reigns supreme!

Comment 3 by Dave Hill posted on 3/19/2005 at 7:33 PM

Ray, I did you a design a while back, what happened to that?

Dave Hill

Comment 4 by Raymond Camden posted on 3/19/2005 at 8:00 PM

I still have it. As I said in the post, I'm being lazy. ;) I do appreciate it and I hope you don't think otherwise. I'd like some more options before I change everything.

Comment 5 by Dave Hill posted on 3/19/2005 at 8:20 PM

I know what you mean, I have been trying to do a layout for my website that is suitable for both 'me' and 'my content'. I think I am close, but I have been side tracked by web standards.

Comment 6 by tonyoftheweegclan posted on 3/22/2005 at 12:30 AM

dude.

look @ erats blog, looks like aura combined with blgCFC to me?

steve? right?

tw

Comment 7 by Ray Camden posted on 3/22/2005 at 12:40 AM

Tony: Yes. In fact, Steve sent me the zip, but I haven't had the time to work with it yet. (Hence the note about being lazy.)

Comment 8 by Steven Erat posted on 3/22/2005 at 2:20 AM

Joe Rinehart released a BlogCFC+Aura starter kit here:

Comment 9 by tony petruzzi posted on 3/22/2005 at 7:22 AM

Ray,

oswd.org

go there and pick out what you want. Almost all the designs there are CSS based and they are free.

here is a link for you:

Comment 10 by Ray Camden posted on 3/22/2005 at 9:40 PM

Check it out guys. I just gotta pick a nicer color (greenish). Anyone recommend a good color scheme picker?

Comment 11 by Steven Erat posted on 3/22/2005 at 9:56 PM

I like the new style! The shadows give it a nice depth, and since you opted to not have a banner image, its still lightweight on graphics.

Looks very Flexy, too ;-)

Comment 12 by tonyoftheweegclan posted on 3/22/2005 at 9:59 PM

i like your aura ray

:) tw

Comment 13 by Ray Camden posted on 3/22/2005 at 10:01 PM

All credit goes to Joe. All I did was extract a zip. ;)

Comment 14 by tonyoftheweegclan posted on 3/22/2005 at 10:09 PM

maybe give it some space @ the top?
the title looks a bit cramped...

change the
containerheadcontenttitle
in the css to have "padding:2px"

or something like that?

Comment 15 by Steven Erat posted on 3/22/2005 at 10:17 PM

Its a slippery slope. Once you start changing visual layout and graphics, it gets very tedious very quickly.

You could just add a couple break tags to the top of layout.cfm to add space at the top but you'll lose the glow/aura/shadow at the top, but notice on TalkingTree.com that I have a top glow. I used the footer graphic as a starting point, turned upside down, and did a few modifications. A lot of work, but it looks smooth on top and has a little empty space.

Set aside a chunk of time before you get involved in all this...

Comment 16 by Ray Camden posted on 3/23/2005 at 2:05 AM

Steve: Sorry, but I added a top graphic. Thanks go to Dave Hill.

Comment 17 by tonyoftheweegclan posted on 3/23/2005 at 2:53 AM

looks dope, the new header!

great idea dave.

one thing... :) yellow background on your day of the month on the calendar should be NOT YELLOW?

right?

Comment 18 by Ray Camden posted on 3/23/2005 at 2:59 AM

Tony - what color would you suggest?

Comment 19 by tonyoftheweegclan posted on 3/23/2005 at 3:08 AM

me personally, one of the colors in your header... actually a couple shades lighter....

#bcda8f

:) me

Comment 20 by Steven Erat posted on 3/23/2005 at 3:34 AM

That banner is way cool!

Comment 21 by Dave Hill posted on 3/23/2005 at 4:13 AM

Hey, nice mod on the banner Tony :)
definately needed a tag line!

Comment 22 by Joe Rinehart posted on 3/23/2005 at 6:41 PM

Whoa, this is sharp! Nice banner, Dave!

Comment 23 by Dave Hill posted on 3/23/2005 at 7:06 PM

hmmm... maybe i should do a selection of banners without text to go with the Aura template. What you think Joe?

Comment 24 by Brian Rinaldi posted on 4/8/2005 at 9:48 PM

Ok...I finally got around to doing this. I used a design from oswd.org with minor changes (I posted the details at www.remotesynthesis.com/blo.... I can get you the files if you like. Obviously whomever used it would need to put a different logo image (or text) and background (if they like). Let me know if you are interested and I will send over the zip.

Comment 25 by Raymond Camden posted on 4/8/2005 at 10:18 PM

Actually I'm pretty happy with the current design - but send it over - I'm curious.

Comment 26 by James posted on 5/11/2005 at 1:18 PM

Raymond,
Thanks for the cool blog. I spent some time modding it, mostly through CSS and some file editing, and came up with this:

<br><br><a href="http://www.zenbeatstudios.c..." target="_blank">The Blog</a><br><br>

I look forward to your next update. :)

Cheers,
James

Comment 27 by Raymond Camden posted on 5/11/2005 at 6:05 PM

Dang nice - however - the top logo isn't centered in Firefox.

Comment 28 by James posted on 5/11/2005 at 6:59 PM

Thanks Raymond. I hadn't reloaded Firefox after the re-installation of DW earlier this week. I'm glad you spotted that. It's fixed now. :)

Thanks again!