Cox DVR Hint

So, those of who read my blog know that I'm absolutely in love with my Cox DVR system. For those of you whose the system, I thought the following tip would be helpful.

So, the Cox DVR has a "feature" where if you use Fast Forward, then hit Play, it "helps" you by backing up about 30 seconds. I suppose this is useful for folks who are a bit slow, but for the rest of us, this is a real PITA. Especially if you quickly hit FF and Play again, you may end up even further back.

However, I found that if you hit FF and use Pause to stop after the commercials, and then hit Play, it works fine.

Comment 1 by Brendan OHara posted on 11/30/2004 at 8:04 PM

The exact same thing drives my wife crazy with our DirecTV tivo.

I will try it and see if it works there too.

Brendan

Comment 2 by Rob Brooks-Bilson posted on 11/30/2004 at 8:55 PM

Brendan,

With the Tivo, you should just enable the 30 second skip. If you use that to jump through commercials, then find you have gone too far, just hit the back button which jumps you back 8 seconds. Using the 30 second skip, I almost always just bloop bloop bloop through the commercials, and only occassionally have to jump back a time or two to get it timed right. I can generally skip all of the commercials in about 3 seconds.

Comment 3 by Brendan OHara posted on 11/30/2004 at 9:56 PM

30 second skip...

Where do I enable that? That is what I missed most about ReplayTV since I moved to satelitte. The DirecTivo's aren't model II's so I am not sure if I even have 30 second skip. I will check out tonight.
Brendan

Comment 4 by Alex Aguilar posted on 12/1/2004 at 1:12 AM

While watching a recorded program
SELECT PLAY SELECT 3 0 SELECT
you should then hear 3 dings if you input the code correctly.

Comment 5 by Rob Brooks-Bilson posted on 12/1/2004 at 2:40 AM

Alex got it. After it's enabled, the skip to end button (far right on the remote) will become the 30 second skip button.

If you lose power to your Tivo, you'll need to re-input the code.

Comment 6 by Dick posted on 12/3/2004 at 1:12 AM

Good tip. I use Pause - Pause instead of Puase - Play which does the same thing. Now I need a way to series record the early Futurama without recording the late one or the Spanish channel ones, but still get the TBS showings.

Comment 7 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/3/2004 at 1:19 AM

On the Cox system, when you do a series recording, you can limit to one channel or one time, which is very nice.

Comment 8 by Rob Brooks-Bilson posted on 12/3/2004 at 1:22 AM

And if you are using Tivo, just remove the spanish channel(s) from your list of channels, and season passes (or other) won't record from it.

Comment 9 by jwb posted on 7/24/2005 at 10:39 PM

can you record a show using cox dvr without recording commericals?

Comment 10 by jwb posted on 7/24/2005 at 10:40 PM

can you record a show using cox dvr without recording commericals?

Comment 11 by Raymond Camden posted on 7/24/2005 at 10:44 PM

Nope. I'm not aware of any DVR that does that - although SnapStream, for the PC, will try to find commercials and give you smart skip.