FreeIpods Update

So, exactly two months ago I blogged about FreeIpods.com. Exactly two months to the date - my free Ipod arrived this morning. Thank you to everyone who went through the trouble to sign up. I appreciate it.

I gotta say - the IPod is quite the sexy little thing. It "feels" extremely solid. Not that my Nomad feels flimsy per se.... but in comparison to the IPod it feels more like a toy.

Comment 1 by Jaye posted on 10/18/2004 at 7:37 PM

So what size is it anyway?

Comment 2 by Roland Collins posted on 10/18/2004 at 7:58 PM

It's not the size that matters! ;)

Comment 3 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/18/2004 at 8:17 PM

20 gigs.

Comment 4 by Tim Scatty posted on 10/18/2004 at 8:58 PM

3rd or 4th gen?

Comment 5 by Dave posted on 10/18/2004 at 9:50 PM

Completely envious. I can't get enough ppl to sign upon my account. You were smart and chose the 20 gig over the mini, I see.

Dave

Comment 6 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/19/2004 at 12:32 AM

Tim, I'm pretty sure it is 4th gen. It has just the wheel thingy and no other buttons on front.

I transferred my laptop's MP3 collection, 1200 songs, and it took like 20 mins or so. I can't believe how fast it transfers.

Comment 7 by Rob Brooks-Bilson posted on 10/19/2004 at 1:07 AM

Ray, I'm loving my iPod. I've got a 40GB 4th gen, with a pretty sweet black iSkin (highly recommend a decent case). I use mine mainly when I hike or work out at the gym (which is almost every day). It does remarkably well with the rough terrain I hike, although sometimes it freezes after the 25 min buffer runs out when I'm bouncing around pretty hard.

Rumor has it that a new 60GB model with color screen is right around the corner...

Comment 8 by Joe Rinehart posted on 10/19/2004 at 2:29 PM

Hey Ray,

That'd be a 4th gen - I've had an identical one for about 3-4 weeks now and love it.

One thing I've picked up is an iTrip by Griffen - a small FM transmitter that integrates its interface into the iPod. Works pretty well in my car, even in the DC area where the FM spectrum is swamped. http://www.griffintechnolog...

Is anyone else addicted to Music Quiz under Extras -> Games? I think I went through a 250 round game on a flight yesterday.

Comment 9 by Jaye posted on 10/19/2004 at 2:59 PM

Careful with the iTrip. I had to have mine replaced 3 times (though they have alwasy been happy to send replacements). For some reason it would just quit working. I ended up getting the Belkin which has been flawless and you don't have to lead any special software.

Comment 10 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/19/2004 at 3:15 PM

I've got a FM broadcaster thing, but it doesn't work well here because of the crowded 88 section. If you say the iTrip works well in crowded areas, I may give it a try.

Dumb question - I guess I could read the FAQ, but is there a way to browse the iPod like a drive?

Comment 11 by Jaye posted on 10/19/2004 at 4:10 PM

Sure. With ITunes open and your IPod connected, you have to change the settings. I can't remember off the top of my head cause mind is keyed up to my MAC. You should be able to right click over the IPod icon and change the settings. You will see something to the effect of "Allow Disk Browsing". I will have to look tonight, when I get home. But you can also you it for disk storage if you want. If you play around with it, you'll find it.

Comment 12 by Roland Collins posted on 10/19/2004 at 8:09 PM

Ray,

On windows, XPlay is by _far_ a better program for using your ipod than iTunes. Check it out at www.mediafour.com - they even have a demo version.

Comment 13 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/19/2004 at 9:36 PM

Jaye - I connected my ipod. For a few seconds I saw a F drive in My Computer, then it went away. The IPod still shows up as connected in iTunes, but I can't get access to it.

Comment 14 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/19/2004 at 9:38 PM

Ah, I got it now. I had to right click in ITunes to access. Hmm, wierd file system, but at least I see it now.

Comment 15 by ErikG posted on 10/20/2004 at 6:49 PM

I just got a 4th gen 40 GB iPod a few weeks ago. I got the iCarPlay from Monster - it's strictly for use in the car, but it both charges the iPod and transmits over FM.

The two best features are:
- It doesn't use the headphone jack on the iPod, it only connects to the dock port.
- You can select between 8 different FM frequences to find one that is clear for use.

I bought mine at CompUSA... you can also get it from Apple if you buy your iPod direct.