Woohoo, my new (mini) toy...

So, my wife and I have the family van (which I like to call the bus), but for a while now we've been talking about getting a second car. Something not for the kids. This weekend we went out and got a Mini Cooper.

This model was almost exactly what we had speced out at mini.com. Sunroof, cruise control, nice Harman Kardon stereo system, and other nice features as well.

It drives like a golf cart on steroids. Even driving to the inlaws is like being in a rally race. The car is just pure fun to drive.

Comment 1 by robi posted on 1/26/2004 at 1:47 AM

Neat. Have you ever seen a real mini made by Moris? My mother used to race moris minis as well as her brother still owns a Moris Minor. Wonderful cars and its to bad they do not make them anymore.

Comment 2 by Geoff Bowers posted on 1/26/2004 at 2:25 AM

Ray -- where are the "go faster" stripes!!

Comment 3 by Robby posted on 1/26/2004 at 11:30 AM

Rallies are huge down unda'. I'm from Kansas City and I've never seen as many as I have in the two years I've been here. While risky, I'd have to say the risks would warrant the drive. Hell when ya think about it, the true risks don't start til you're *at* the inlaws ;)

Comment 4 by Daniel Dura posted on 1/26/2004 at 5:48 PM

Jealousy building.... nice choice. Over the past month I have seriously considered trading in my truck on one. Congrats!

Comment 5 by Gyrus posted on 1/26/2004 at 9:21 PM

Ugh. Yep, that's what the world needs: more cars.

Comment 6 by CJ posted on 1/27/2004 at 3:23 AM

Car pollution is a drop in the bucket compared to that created by forest fires (carbon), volcanic eruptions (sulfur dioxide, amongst other things), and -- no joke -- cows (methane).

So maybe you should cut Ray some slack.

Comment 7 by Gyrus posted on 1/27/2004 at 5:57 PM

I don't want to start a full debate here, it's not the place. (Or is it? Part of my reason for expressing my objections here is that I read Ray's blog cos he's a good CF guy, intelligent and engaging - I really don't need to hear about his latest personal indulgences. But, given that we're leaving CF behind here, why not debate car culture?)

In short, burning wood (e.g. forest fires) is part of the planet's regular circulation of carbon. Burning fossil fuels isn't (that's carbon that's been locked away for aeons and artificially exhumed). Yes, volcanic eruptions can be disastrous for the atmosphere - but why add to this?! Let alone add to it for fun & vanity. Cows - see burning wood. It's a regular part of the cycle.

I'll stop short of getting into energy resources issues... Ray: no offence, I just think the general blinkered attitude people have to these issues shouldn't pass without comment.

Comment 8 by Raymond Camden posted on 1/27/2004 at 6:08 PM

Gyrus, I appreciate your opinion, however, one thing I have a problem with. Are you saying I should NOT talk about personal matters here? This is a blog after all - my blog - and I share what I share. If it _really_ bothers you, you can get the RSS feed just for the CF stuff. Just click on CF in the right hand menu, and _then_ use that RSS feed (or just book mark that filtered version).

Comment 9 by Gyrus posted on 1/27/2004 at 6:44 PM

Thanks, Ray, this is definitely an oversight on my part. Apologies for the bit about your personal blog posts, I've subscribed to the CF-only feed now.

Comment 10 by AdamC posted on 1/27/2004 at 11:43 PM

A real man would have bought a Ford Excursion

Comment 11 by Ed posted on 1/28/2004 at 12:00 AM

Ray, Next year you think your wife well let you buy a man's car? ;-)

Comment 12 by Raymond Camden posted on 1/28/2004 at 12:06 AM

Bah, you guys are jealous. :) You should drive one - it _really_ feels like a sports car.

Comment 13 by Peter Tilbrook posted on 1/28/2004 at 6:18 AM

Real men ride motorcycles! Fast ones!

Comment 14 by Chris Wigginton posted on 1/29/2004 at 2:38 AM

Small Cars :-)

My first car was a Triumph Spitfire. Only problem with it is that one day I had a real choice end parking space when I went to the movies. When I came out of the movie, somebody had moved my car over so they could park in my space, I think they just picked it up.<p>
I wonder what the weight difference is between a mini and spitfire :-)