IPod's Dirty Little Secret

Gizmodo has an interesting post about IPod's main drawback - the battery. Apparently they only last a year and a half, and Apple charge 225(!!) for a replacement. You can get a whole new player (well, non-IPod) for that. I'm happy I decided against the IPod in favor of one from Creative (which I'll blog about as soon as it arrives).

Edited - So it looks like the situation was a bit overblown. You can get cheaper replacements elsewhere. See some of the comments in the link.

Comment 1 by Robert Occhialini posted on 11/25/2003 at 11:32 PM

Actually, you can get a replacement battery for far less than the 255. You also can now get AppleCare on the iPods, although I am not certain that would cover the battery. Finally, I have owned three iPods now, and the person who I sold my first one too, who works with me, reports no issue with the battery after over 24 months.

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/25/2003 at 11:36 PM

Aren't those replacements (the ones I saw anyway) from third-parties? Would they not void your warranty?

Comment 3 by Robert Occhialini posted on 11/25/2003 at 11:55 PM

An actual battery replacement for an out of warranty unit through Apple, according to Apple's Web site(http://www.info.apple.com/s... is 99 dollars.

I believe, but could be wrong, that in-warranty units would have their battery replaced at no-charge, so going through a third pary wouldd be unnecessary in that case.

Comment 4 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/25/2003 at 11:58 PM

Ah, nice to know, although I'm still feeling pretty good about getting 60 gigs w/ my Nomad as opposed to 40 max w/ the IPod, and for a much cheaper price at that. ;)

Comment 5 by Robert Occhialini posted on 11/26/2003 at 12:01 AM

Heh, yeah you could carry a lot of 2 Many DJ's mixes on a 60Gb device.

Comment 6 by charlie posted on 11/26/2003 at 12:09 AM

so...the iPod is off your Amazon wish list? :)

Comment 7 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/26/2003 at 12:11 AM

Oh yea. Like I said, I plan a full blog entry when I get the Nomad. I can't wait. No more boring radio when I drop off my son at school.

Comment 8 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/26/2003 at 1:22 AM

As just an FYI, my MP3 player is currently in Mesquite, TX. The expected delivery date is December 1st, but I'm thinking it will get here on Saturday.

Comment 9 by Critter posted on 11/26/2003 at 4:29 AM

I picked up a 20 gig nomad....and am quite pleased with it... if that's the type you are getting, make sure you pick up a copy of Notmad:

Comment 10 by Cathy Taylor posted on 11/26/2003 at 6:32 PM

Hmm... I hadn't heard that! I've had my 10Gb iPod for over 2 years now and it's still going strong. The battery hasn't seemed to develop memory issues either (unlike my laptop which is in need of its 3rd battery replacement now).

Enjoy whatever you get!

Comment 11 by John Dowdell posted on 11/26/2003 at 8:30 PM

Raymond, you took something passed around on the net at face value...!?!? ;-)

It's definitely possible to reduce charging life down to the 18-month range... the Apple support site lists a number of ways to break this. Absent things like heat extremes, some have also spontaneously shown 18-month chargeability, and this has been addressed by a software update. Apple's site lists replacement at $99, and with a quick web search you can find third-party kits for even less.

People who put their messages onto buildings are usually wrong... I live in San Francisco, I know this.... ;-)

(I've got a 30G, and it's great, but I envy you going to a 60... I'm looking at all these CDs I can't add to my rotation yet. If you use it mainly in a car then that form-factor shouldn't matter as much as if using it while walking. I was surprised by how different the experience was from using CDs... really enjoy it.)

jd

Comment 12 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/26/2003 at 10:55 PM

Yea yea, all my fault. :) I'll edit the main entry so folks now it was a bit overblown.

I got my radio broadcaster for the player today... so everything should be car-ready by the beginning of next week.

Comment 13 by Steve Ray posted on 11/26/2003 at 11:55 PM

So Ray, you decided against going for XM Radio? That sure would solve the boring radio problem. I'm still undecided btwn that and an iPod with a car stereo attachment.

Comment 14 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/26/2003 at 11:59 PM

Well, for now, yea. XM Radio would be nice _along_ with the mp3 player, but it all comes down to me adding another bill every month. ;) I spend a lot more time in front of a machine than I do a car, and the mp3 player would be good on the road as well. If I _do_ purchase a music service, I'd probably pick the higher quality streams at di.fm.