Just blogging this as I had trouble Googling for a solution when it hit me. I've been doing ObjectiveC work lately for the CreativeSDK project and I kept running into an odd problem. I'd set up a simple project, do some work on it, and when I returned the next day, any use of the CreativeSDK would fail. If I removed the frameworks and bundles from my project and re-added them, it worked again. The first time (OK, the first few times) this happened, I just assumed I made a mistake when adding it, but when it happened consistently, I figured something was up.
For a few months now, I've experienced an odd issue with Chrome. I'd go to a URL and get nothing but a white screen while something tried to load. Almost always the URL had 'cdn' in it or implied a static server of some type. It was like Chrome had no issue with the main domain, but barfed on the secondary servers that many sites use for their related assets. Even worse, this one request typically caused the page to hang. I'd kill the request, reload, and pretty much always it loaded. If I opened the same URL while Chrome was hanging in Firefox, it always worked there.
For the past few years (yes, years), I've been rewatching Star Trek: The Next Generation. I watch it on the treadmill as it is a perfect amount of time for a workout (45 minutes) and is great motivation to actually get off my ass and do the exercise. It took years because I had a few diversions on the way - specifically Mad Men (great), Sons of Anarchy (great, but kinda meh now), and Breaking Bad (freaking amazing). It also took some time because - my god - who knew that TV seasons back then were so long. ST:TNG went for 7 years and had a grand total of 178 episodes. I had originally watched ST:TNG when it first came out, but there were a few episodes I missed and I wanted to experience the show again - in its entirety.
I'm a big fan of reveal.js. It is a lightweight HTML-based presentation framework that just works well for me. I switched over to it a while ago and enjoy working with it. Every now and then though I run into an issue that is a bit hard to handle with it. Yesterday I was working on my cfObjective presentation and created the slide you see below.
I don't know about you, but when I see a form that has disabled autocomplete, I get pretty upset:
I have to apologize. For a while now this server has had issues. Sometimes I have to restart the services every morning. Sometimes it runs fine for days. My host, Edge Web, are very proactive and helpful, I know this because I'll get multiple phone calls, emails, etc as they try to repair my server. This bugs me because I am costing them time for something I should be able to correct myself. They give me a good deal as I help promote ColdFusion and provide open source and community resources, but at the end of the day, I don't want to be a burden to them as I'm not really paying my fair share there.
The issues I have on my box are something involving Apache or ColdFusion. If I could spend a day just hacking away at it I could possibly figure it out. I have spent time digging into it (and as I said, so have Edge Web), but at the end of the day, I do not want to be a server administrator. I don't want to have to worry about tuning. I want this site to continue to be a resource for folks who want to learn. If that means ditching all my dependancies, then so be it.
Right now I'm considering moving to static. I can't move to S3 because they don't support regex URL replacements. I could easily use one regex rewrite rule to go from /index.cfm/2014/3/12/Reprint-What-in-the-heck-is-JSONP-and-why-would-you-use-it to /2014/3/12/Reprint-What-in-the-heck-is-JSONP-and-why-would-you-use-it, but that isn't supported with S3 hosting. The other big issue is comments. Disqus allows for importing, but I currently have 50000+ comments here. I'd have to be careful to not miss anything. Everything is lagniappe. I'm more than willing to push search to a custom Google search engine. Any ColdFusion demos would fail, but I typically post my code in downloadable format as well.
During the time I wrote this post - I had to restart Apache multiple times - so heck - it may not be related to ColdFusion (or MySQL) at all. That being said - I don't care. I want to simplify as much as possible so I can focus on having this site up 100% of the time.
Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to my site survey from last month. I had almost a hundred responses and I thought I'd share the results with my readers.
Here are my resolutions for the new year. It isn't a long list so I have some chance of achieving my goals but I reserve the right to pretend like I never wrote this post approximately five minutes after posting it.
These types of blog entries (best of year X) are admittedly kind of lame, but I was curious myself to see what my top entries were over the past year. So without further ado, here are my top entries for the past year. (Yes, I know it isn't over yet, but as I'm vacation I doubt I'll write anything more of real interest between now and New Year's Eve):