One last blog entry before I enter Mardi Gras oblivion. Earlier this week I had logged into the ColdFusion bugbase and noticed that I had over 500 bugs in the system. I thought this was kinda cool and I was wondering if I could see aggregate data about my bug reports.
Earlier this week I got to look at some code using CasperJS. CasperJS is a testing utility for PhantomJS, a headless (i.e. virtual) Webkit browser. This is probably unfair, but I like to think of Casper as a super powered Curl. Hopefully you know Curl as a command line tool that lets you perform network requests and work with the result. Unlike Curl, CasperJS (and PhantomJS) can actually interact with the results like a real browser. This allows for some cool testing/utilities. I've only begun to scratch the surface of the tool, but I thought I'd share an interesting little issue my coworker and I ran into with it.
I haven't written much about WebSQL lately, mainly because it is Dead Spec Walking. However, it still works in Cordova (for now), and I get questions from time to time. This one in particular was kind of interesting. Plus, the guy asking me for help with this was super nice even though I kept delaying my answer over a few weeks. :)
A while ago I blogged (see related entries) about ColdFusion, OAuth, and Google. I ended up using this on a client's project. They go to his app, click sign-in, are redirected to Google, and upon authenticating, are brought back to the app so that profile information can be retrieved from Google and synced up with a local user record. My client then asked me to take a look at Google+ Sign-In. I spent some time working on some code and I thought I'd share. While this post uses ColdFusion for the back end, I think it could be helpful to folks using other back ends as I found some issues that apply universally.
Another day, another HarpJS recipe. Can you tell what I'm excited about lately? For today's demo, I've built a simple dynamic calendar for HarpJS. There are probably many different ways to handle this (you could simply embed a Google Calendar as I describe here), but here is how I solved it.
Next week I'll be giving a presentation on HarpJS (and the Harp platform). For folks who just so happen to be in Louisiana, the first presentation will be Tuesday night at the Acadiana Adobe User Group (details here: Meeting).
Of course, I assume most of my readership is not in the beautiful state of Louisiana, so for the rest of y'all, I'm going to make true on my promise to give Google Hangouts a try. I'll be hosting my first Hangout as a presentation so expect some bumps, but I think it will go ok. I've included a link to the details below. It will be held next Friday, February 21, at 12PM CST.
Edited Feb 14: Just an FYI, I modified the event link. If you signed up at the other one, please try this new link.
Over the past few months I've had a series of articles (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3) discussing IndexedDB. In the last article I built a full, if rather simple, application that let you write notes. (I'm a sucker for note taking applications.) When I built the application, I intentionally did not use a framework. I tried to write nice, clear code of course, but I wanted to avoid anything that wasn't 100% necessary to demonstrate the application and IndexedDB. In the perspective of an article, I think this was the right decision to make. I wanted my readers to focus on the feature and not anything else. But I thought this would be an excellent opportunity to try AngularJS again.
I'm a Soundcloud user and a while ago I noticed they did something cool with their interface - a "Play" icon when you are playing music.
A few days ago, the greatest API in the entire Internet was released - the Marvel API. Ok, maybe greatest is a strong word, but I love APIs, I love comics, and the combination of the two is nothing less than Galactus-level news. (And by Galactus I mean the giant purple guy, not the amorphous giant cloud from the forgettable Fantastic Four movie.)
I'm somewhat OCD about checking my Google Analytics reports. I'm mainly concerned about this site, but I've got other sites I monitor as well. In the past I've used tools like Happy Metrix for this purpose, but their pricing now is a bit much for me. (To be clear, it is a kick ass product, but since my sites aren't commercial I can't justify the expense.) I knew that Google had an API for analytics so I thought I'd take a stab at writing my own dashboard.