Twitter: raymondcamden

Address: Lafayette, LA, USA

Edge Animate 3.0

01-21-2014 3,936 views Design, JavaScript, HTML5 9 Comments

One of my favorite tools has just hit 3.0 - Edge Animate. New features in this release include:

• Audio Support! That's right - by using native HTML5 audio, your Edge Animate projects can bind audio events to the timeline, to elements, and even do audio transitions.
  • Responsive Scaling This is exactly what it sounds like - proportional scaling of your Animate projects.
  • Script Loading Edge Animate now makes it easier to include other scripts in your project. You can either add in local libraries or point to CDNs.

There is even more in 3.0. Check out the release notes for more. You can also see 3.0 in action below thanks to product manager and all around cool person Sarah Hunt:

You can find even more Edge Animate videos over at Adobe TV (the previous link is to recently added videos for Edge Animate) and read our tutorials over on the Help site.

As always, if my readers have any questions about this or want to see it in action, let me know!

9 Comments

• Nicolas #
    Commented on 03-06-2014 at 10:47 PM
    - Still no search and replace for code window
    - Completely stupid the way it duplicates images – This has to definitely change.
    - Still impossible to tell which document you are working on – Should display a path in the top menu bar.
    - Cannot reorganize Image files into folders
    - Cannot organize symbols into common libraries!!!!
    - Cannot undo - no history once you save
    - No ability to Lock Elements position on screen without stopping you from accessing them
    - Javascript error in event handler! Event Type = timeline!!! What a meaningless errors

Can't wait till they come out with a Flex like app for enterprise type development (That's how we are using it)
  • Commented on 03-07-2014 at 6:54 AM
    @Nicolas - have you reported these issues here: http://www.adobe.com/go/learnanimateforum
  • Nicolas #
    Commented on 03-09-2014 at 6:50 PM
    @ Community
    Has anyone else had the following experience - Adobe would LOVE to here from you..

I've tried several occasions to contact Adobe from the bottom of their Ivory walls but it's very difficult to get through.

Here is my experience
    So far 15 mins have passed

Tried your link-Found tutes relating to all their products
    - Founsd a "Tell us what you think" button that links to a form on what I think about the page I just came from
    --Dead end

Going to adobe's home page - Scroll to bottom of screen and find product help
    More Flash cards
    More products
    - Edge animate (Here we are)
    --Looked around page (finally here it is report a bug - Not important enough to have a direct link from the front page I guess)
    --- Looking through long list of Adobe products (I guess the fact that I just came through an exhaustive process to click through their product list and finally drill through to Edge animate - finally arriving at the bug report page was not enough)
    --Looking for Adobe Edge Animate
    --Looking
    --Looking

Big surprise - Dead end

And around the merry-go-round we go

So no buddy - I still haven't managed to contact Adobe
    God I miss Macromedia
  • Nicolas #
    Commented on 03-09-2014 at 6:51 PM
    Doh!'

HEAR not here (Face Palm)
  • Nicolas #
    Commented on 03-09-2014 at 7:17 PM
    Ability to lock symbols that are intended for dynamic generation would be a good idea. Then we could safely delete unused symbols. Currently I stick them in a symbol called _Keep and then drag that to the Stage just before going through each symbol 1 by one and deleting it. If a warning pops up that the asset is used I move to the next symbol.

Why not just globally do this? Very odd. Someone is obviously missing from the development team who should be 'Big picture design"

Whilst I'm here - Did I mention grouping symbols in folders?
  • Commented on 03-09-2014 at 8:18 PM
    @Nicolas: I understand you are frustrated. I'm going to reach out to the product manager and ensure she sees your comment here. As for reporting bugs, I believe you were supposed to use the forums:

From the FAQ:
    How can I leave comments or give feedback on Edge Animate CC?

Please visit the Edge Animate CC forums to provide feedback, request features, or report bugs.
  • Nicolas #
    Commented on 03-09-2014 at 11:18 PM
    Yes - Thanks for your efforts...but

I go to http://forums.adobe.com/community/edge_animate

I see FAQs and past posts but no where to actually enter a post (I check to see if maybe I'm not logged in and thus can't post BUT NO I'm logged in so it's not that)

I enter "There were no results for How can I leave comments or give feedback on Edge Animate CC?:

And I get "There were no results for How can I leave comments or give feedback on Edge Animate CC?"

I feel like Asterix in "Asterix and the Twelve Tasks"

Perhaps I should ask for information on software that doesn't exist?
  • Commented on 03-10-2014 at 5:56 AM
    After logging in, try the "Start a discussion" link from the right hand side. Not terribly obvious, but that is how you can post a new thread.
  • Commented on 03-10-2014 at 3:50 PM
    Hey Nicolas,

Animate Product Manager here. Ray pinged me about your comments, thanks for the feedback. As an FYI the core product team does monitor the forum and out social channels for outreach... we're quite receptive to constructive (and polite) feedback.

That being said I understand some of the frustrations you're facing with some of the (lack of) features you described. Are you using the latest version of CC? Some of the issues you're describing have been fixed in later update.

Some of the features you described are on our roadmap for a later release since we do understand these are pain points. Also keep in mind Animate is still an extremely new product and we have lots we want to do even in terms of the usability stuff you mentioned (as opposed to some of our other apps which have had 15+ years of development).

We'd love to hear more from you -- for the sake of Rays blog feel free to start a discussion on http://forums.adobe.com/community/edge_animate. Click on "Start a Discussion" in the right-hand sidebar.

Thanks,