Twitter: raymondcamden

Address: Lafayette, LA, USA

Minor formatting change here for comments

09-15-2013 5,451 views Misc 9 Comments

Sunday seems to be my day for blog updates (see last week). Today I pushed another minor update for comments. If you wrap text with an asterisk, it will be bolded. If you use an underscore, it will be italicized. Nothing too exciting but I like it so to me it is an awesome addition. ;)

So that's a good thing. On the other side, I'm considering getting more strict about people posting code. Even with the warning to use Gists or Pastebin, I still have a few people every week who insist on posting large code blocks. I've considered adding a simple client-side check that counts the number of < elements.

Finally - I'm also considering another change to handle posts with a large set of comments. I'm thinking of doing something where once a post passes 50 comments, I load the first 50 via Ajax.

9 Comments

• Commented on 09-15-2013 at 10:26 AM
    Let me test how awesome this is. Note that I assume the parsing isn't perfect, but, meh, who needs perfection. I don't.
  • Commented on 09-15-2013 at 11:47 AM
    G'day mate: I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying about ppl pasting code (I don't have an opinion... odd for me, I know), just wondering what the specific problem with doing so is? Just that it's hard to read it when it's in a comment, or what?

Code (well: tag-based code) gets completely munged on my blog, which is bloody annoying. Still: not too many ppl are sending me their code, so that's OK.

Adam
  • Commented on 09-15-2013 at 11:50 AM
    The problem is the size really - very tall and hard to parse imo. Most of the time it is me having to read it and fix some problem, so I may be being a bit selfish here. ;)
  • Commented on 09-15-2013 at 11:53 AM
    You're hardly being selfish (go the formatting!) to ask people to help you to help them!?

Do you have moderating options? Can you queue-up responses over a certain size? Or just delete 'em. You've asked enough times.

You don't owe people help.

Take it easy mate.

Adam
  • Commented on 09-15-2013 at 12:20 PM
    BlogCFC has moderation, but then I have to turn it on for all. I'm crazy in that I expect people to actually read the text above this form and actually pay attention. ;)
  • Commented on 09-15-2013 at 12:31 PM
    > I'm crazy in that I expect people to actually read

Well there's your problem right there ;-)

Adam
  • Commented on 09-15-2013 at 12:33 PM
    See the RIAForge contact form? Yeah I had to kill that too. ;)
  • Commented on 09-16-2013 at 8:25 AM
    I hope you've implemented escaping so that when someone wants to show a pair of underscores (e.g. in a variable name) you've given them a way to not have that turn into italics formatting. For example, in Markdown, you do backslash-underscore to indicate a displayed underscore that should not be taken into account for italics formatting.
  • Commented on 09-16-2013 at 8:48 AM
    Nope, I haven't, and no plan to. This would be an excellent example of why someone should use Pastebins, Gist, JSBin, etc, for sharing code instead of comments.

Post Reply