Twitter: raymondcamden

Address: Lafayette, LA, USA

Tip for PhoneGap Users - Modify the WWW template

01-24-2013 7,824 views Mobile 8 Comments

Now that I've gotten comfortable with PhoneGap's command line I'm finding myself much more productive when building quick demos. The previous link will tell you more, but as a quick example, this is how I'd quickly dump out an IOS project.

"ioscreate" is not the name of a PhoneGap binary, but simply a symbolic link to the create binary from the PhoneGap iOS directory.

I then CD into the folder, run "subl www" to open the www folder in Sublime, and run "cordova/build && cordova/emulate" to run the build and emulate commands. This pops open the new application in my iOS simulator.

All of this takes about 2 seconds and works great, except for one small nit. By default, the new project has this fancy HTML.

You can't see it - but the green "Device Is Ready" is pulsating. It's very hypnotic.

What this means is that I actually spend more time "cleaning" the HTML, JavaScript, and CSS then I do actually creating the new project.

Luckily there is a quick fix for this. Given your desired platform, go to where you installed PhoneGap and you will see a "bin" folder and beneath that, a "templates" folder. There should be one folder underneath it.

See the www folder? Just edit the contents within there to your liking and the next time you create a project, your modifications will be used. Here's my version.

Ok, that's kinda boring, but I've got a nice blank HTML, JS, and CSS file ready to go in my editor.

Related Blog Entries

8 Comments

• Commented on 01-28-2013 at 2:37 AM
    That's not boring at all, that's really useful.

I used the command line to build a test project last night to, I was pleasantly surprised at how quick the process was.

Changing the template... and that "subl" shortcut is really useful!

Thanks Ray.
  • Commented on 01-28-2013 at 5:18 AM
    You are most welcome.
  • Don #
    Commented on 02-02-2013 at 6:07 PM
    I'd like to get into mobile app dev space and am wondering how to get started, btw, I'm on Windows 7 OS platform and have not iPhone nor iPad nor smartphone. PhoneGap seems to be a development tool for mobile app, question, what iOS simulator have you used and like for Windows 7?

Thanks.
  • Don #
    Commented on 02-03-2013 at 8:54 AM
    A side note, it would be extremely beneficial to be able to view blogs in chronological order (so that one can the progression of the subject matter).
  • Commented on 02-03-2013 at 9:04 AM
    View what blogs?
  • Commented on 02-04-2013 at 2:14 PM
    To your first question, Don, I've not used an iOS Simulator on Windows. I just use it on OSX. I've got both Windows and OSX.
  • Commented on 02-05-2013 at 1:33 PM
    Thanks for the great tips! The default template has bugged me a long time and now I can finally change it to something more ready for testing things. And the subl tip is awesome. Now I can just type
    subl .
    instead of
    open .
    and then dragging the directory from Finder to Sublime.
  • Commented on 02-05-2013 at 1:34 PM
    Glad to help. As for subl - that's the one thing holding me back from switching to Brackets full time. As soon as Brackets supports that, it will be my only editor.

Post Reply