Twitter: raymondcamden

Address: Lafayette, LA, USA

Forget web development, I'm becoming a gold farmer

04-01-2008 4,608 views Video Games 34 Comments

After many years in the web development business, I've decided it's time to move on. Why? Because I think life as a World of Warcraft gold farmer will be much more lucrative and fufilling. I mean just look at the facts:

• In all my life as a web developer, I've not gained one level. After a month of WoW, I'm level 30 (half way to 31)
  • How many murlocs do you get to kill when working on web pages?
  • In web development, I have to deal with difficult clients ("Can you move this 5 pixels left? Now 2 pixels right"). In WoW I just kill my problems.
  • ColdFusion may be rapid, but nothing is as quick as a few warrior skills (shouting and cleaving) and a good mace.
  • And lastly - it's not like World of Warcraft is addictive. I can stop playing any time I want to. Really.

So that's it. No more silly "Ask a Jedi". Now it's "Ask a Warrior." No more presentations on Spry or ColdFusion Ajax support. Now I'll present on how quickly I rose through my first 20 levels. If you want personal support, just meet me on Alexstrasza. I'm Romana, the hot warrior night elf!

34 Comments

• Commented on 04-01-2008 at 6:55 AM
    Glad to see you join the rest of us. :)
  • Commented on 04-01-2008 at 7:00 AM

We're all here for you to assist with your recovery, the first step is admitting that you have a problem.
  • Commented on 04-01-2008 at 7:30 AM
    I look forward to your first Connect presentation on slaying dragons and evading orcs.
  • Commented on 04-01-2008 at 7:51 AM
    Its even more lucrative when you have a mount! :-)

Speaking of guides, my wife just wrote a leveling guide for WOW.
  • Commented on 04-01-2008 at 8:06 AM
    New Birds of a Feather at cf.Objective() Announced!

"Ray Camden's WOW Detox and Intervention Group" from 6:00pm to 9:00pm (although it may go until the next day!)...

Please bring your favorite CF code from Ray's library to share with the group and make Ray feel warm an fuzzy again...

We are here for you buddy!!!
  • Commented on 04-01-2008 at 8:07 AM
    @phil - You assume I want to quit. ;) I need to get to 70 first. Then I need to work on my hot, undead warlock. (Ok, so the undead isn't too hot, it's more Goth Extreme.)
  • Commented on 04-01-2008 at 8:11 AM
    @ray - It's obvious you are currently in denial.. it's ok.. that's the first stage. We have time.. you'll be ok.. remember Ray.. It's not your fault... not your fault... it's not your fault.. listen to me son.. it's not your fault!
  • Commented on 04-01-2008 at 8:35 AM
    It's ALWAYS easy to get through your first 20 levels. Wait until you're at level 52 and it takes you like 3 or 4 months to make it to level 60. Then you find out how much it's going to cost you to get your epic mount...and then you stop playing.
  • Commented on 04-01-2008 at 8:37 AM
    getting to 60 is faster now. getting to 70... then realizing that epic flying mount is 5k +... I am at 4k gold now... so close. I have mastered the grinding for gold technique now though. 150g an hour or more so far :-)
  • Commented on 04-01-2008 at 9:01 AM
    Aha! I have long been thinking of a mean way to get hold of the domain name coldfusionjedi.com
    Today seems to be the right day to steal it. :-)
  • Commented on 04-01-2008 at 9:11 AM
    goes to see if wowjedi.com is taken
  • Commented on 04-01-2008 at 9:45 AM
    Dammit Jim, we've lost another one... ;)
  • Commented on 04-01-2008 at 9:53 AM
    @Ray: Sweet. Just hand over your domain then so I can turn it into a link farm! I'll make some mad cash!!!
  • russ #
    Commented on 04-01-2008 at 11:26 AM
    Ray this should help you in your advancement...
  • Commented on 04-01-2008 at 12:03 PM
    You'll be using the new Bard class, right?

• Commented on 04-01-2008 at 12:58 PM
    You have to admire how far they will go for a joke.
  • Commented on 04-01-2008 at 1:42 PM
    More Blizzard fun http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/moltencore/
  • Commented on 04-01-2008 at 1:50 PM
    not you too! So much for the golden snitch...
  • Commented on 04-01-2008 at 2:00 PM
    Heheh, I know I know. The main thing slowing down BlogCFC6 is a project I started in January that is in 'crisis mode' and has been there since January. Once that clears out - life will be MUCH better.
  • Commented on 04-01-2008 at 5:24 PM
    I have a level 70 Troll Hunter, a level 60 Toll Warrior, a 33 Human Paladin, and about 20 other characters of all different races and classes below level 30. Right now I only play a few hours a week, but once the next expansion comes out, you can bet that I'll be super focused on getting my hunter to level 80 as fast as I can, so I can hurry up and start waiting for the next expansion after that to come out so I can get to 90, and so on and so forth.
  • Commented on 04-02-2008 at 8:09 AM
    Advance and wait:

I heartily recommend you reading this comic from beginning to end...here's my favorite:
  • Commented on 04-02-2008 at 8:23 AM
    @Andy - That was awesome!
  • Commented on 04-02-2008 at 8:29 AM
    I had a feeling that you guys would dig that.
  • Commented on 04-02-2008 at 9:15 AM
    Grats on becoming a WoW addict! I have 4 toons and can't seem to get enough of it. My main is level 66 warrior but I also have a level 48 paladin and a level 18 rogue.

FTW!
  • Commented on 04-02-2008 at 10:21 AM
    Ya I would have to say I semi-addicted to WoW as well. I have to many 70's and one that has one set of season three restoration arena gear and 3/4 a set of season three enhancement gear. Pretty sad... 30 yr old gamer. But its fun :)

• Cory McHugh #
    Commented on 04-02-2008 at 5:39 PM
    WoW makes me a better programmer and citizen. And anyone who says different is getting backstabbed by my rogue.
  • Mike E. #
    Commented on 04-03-2008 at 11:19 AM
    GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!!
    I ended up quitting WoW cold turkey. it was consuming my life.
  • Mike E. #
    Commented on 04-03-2008 at 11:20 AM
    Crap, forget my last post, Im re-activating my account ;-)
  • Commented on 04-03-2008 at 11:22 AM
    @mike

hahahhahahaha
  • Commented on 04-03-2008 at 8:54 PM
    haahaaa!
  • Commented on 08-20-2008 at 5:28 PM
    Thought I would dig through your Blog history and found this. Wow, Ray, very impressive! Even though it's four months later, I suppose this is a good time to plug my WoW + CF site (linked).

It's no "Unweb", but it's gaining some popularity.

I won't go into listing my WoW stuff here for fear of boring everyone but suffice it to say, we're working on Illidan.

PS: Alliance sux. Tsk, tsk, Ray. You should know better than that. Join the DARK SIDE, CFJEDI.
  • Commented on 08-20-2008 at 7:09 PM
    @SH: My alt is an Undead Warlock. Such a different experience from the warrior. :)
  • Commented on 09-30-2008 at 3:11 PM