A few days ago a client of mine, Rich Swier of HuB, asked if I could build him two quick demos that made use of the Eventbrite API. I whipped up the two demos for him and once done, he graciously allowed me to share it on my blog. (Thank you Rich!) I will warn you that this code was written for ColdFusion 8 so it is entirely tag based. At the very end a mod was made for ColdFusion 9. Obviously it could be converted to script and perhaps improved in other ways as well, but I hope this is useful for folks who want to play with the Eventbrite API in the future.
I was originally going to be presenting just to the Memphis Technology User Groups tonight, but they have graciously said they don't mind if I open this up to the public. If you want to hear me give an introduction to Cordova, join me online tonight at 6:30 CST here: https://my.adobeconnect.com/raysworld/. I will be giving priority for QA to the Memphis group of course, but all our welcome to join in and - hopefully - learn something as well. This will be over Adobe Connect so be sure to use a Flash-enabled browser.
Earlier this morning I was building a Google Map demo for a client (using EventBrite data - I'll share that if I can) and I needed to center a Google Map on America. There are a couple ways of doing this and I thought I'd share them along with some screen shots so you can see the results.
So here's a doozy for you. Over the past week or so I exchanged emails with a reader who was having an odd issue with ColdFusion mappings. Specifically the code he wrote to actually use the mappings would fail to work if he used application specific mappings. Switching to mappings defined on the server fixed it.
I've been meaning to write this up for a while now, but I never got around to it till today when a meeting got cancelled suddenly. It was this or get on the treadmill, and unfortunately, the treadmill lost. Lately I've noticed a common problem with both web apps and native apps. The problem is this: The application renders some sort of dynamic content. In that content are various UI elements you can click. At the same time, the app is fetching additional content asynchronously. When that content comes in, it is displayed then and the layout of the content is adjusted as the new stuff comes in. The problem is that the user may have been just about to click on a button, link, or whatever, and now finds that their click action has done nothing. Or worse - has activated another action that they didn't want. TweetDeck is especially bad about this. Facebook, surprisingly, is actually pretty darn good about this. Let's look at a simple example in case I'm not making sense.
A while ago I wrote a Node.js service called MockData. The idea behind it was to create a quick way to generate mock data for client-side applications that were purely driven by URL parameters. So for example, I could get 10 random people by doing an XHR request to http://myserver:myport?num=10&author=name. The service I built supported a few different types of mock data (names, emails, addresses, telephone numbers, etc), and was, I think, pretty flexible. I thought it would be interesting to rewrite the core logic in ColdFusion, specifically ColdFusion 11, to see how much of the JS code had to be re-engineered.
This falls under the "obvious" category (like probably most of my posts), but as I had trouble finding it before, I figured I'd share this tip. To make a phone call from GMail, with the new Hangouts features, follow these steps:
It's kinda funny - but something as simple as the iOS status bar can be confusing as quantum mechanics. Holly wrote a blog post, and an interactive web-based simulator, that explains the various settings and configurations for the status bar. It is definitely recommended reading: PhoneGap Developer's Guide to the iOS Status Bar.
P.S. Yes, this is a super short blog post, but I like to share important blog posts like this for the members of my audience lucky enough to avoid Twitter. Trust me - stay away...
Earlier this week I discovered a new project on GitHub, CFLint. For my readers who may not be aware, linters are tools that inspect your code for bugs, best practices, and other issues. Numerous different types of linters exist, but as far as I know this is the first one for ColdFusion. It is still a bit rough (in my tests it would routinely have parsing issues on some of my files) but it is a good start and I think it could be a great tool for ColdFusion developers.