Twitter: raymondcamden

Address: Lafayette, LA, USA

Looking for ColdFusion support in Brackets?

06-14-2013 4,526 views ColdFusion 19 Comments

Were you waiting to check out Brackets until ColdFusion support was available? Good news - Reto Aeberli has released an extension that provides basic support for ColdFusion. It doesn't support functions or cfscript yet, but it is an excellent start. You can download the extension from the web site he created: http://cfbrackets.org/

19 Comments

• Commented on 06-14-2013 at 7:59 AM
    Not sure of the significance of this extension? Is this something that can be added in for DW?
  • Commented on 06-14-2013 at 8:14 AM
    Ty, have you not heard of Brackets? Follow the link in the entry above (the first link). It is an open source light-weight editor for web developers. Yes, DW exists, as does ColdFusion Builder. Personally, I prefer Brackets.
  • Commented on 06-14-2013 at 8:18 AM
    I just uploaded a new website and made different extension zips for the cfml versions (CF7 - 10), so there is no need to rename the files manually in the extension directory.
  • Commented on 06-14-2013 at 8:21 AM
    Nope that was a first for me. Checked out the site but it was not much of a site. More searching needed to learn about it. Hope you can understand what I am trying to say on the cfindex post. No hurry just a simple problem, will probably figured it out by day's end. Enjoy the weekend.
  • Commented on 06-14-2013 at 8:23 AM
    If you want, you can hit me up on IM (raymondcamden at gmail dot com) (that's Google Talk obviously). May be easier. I use a third party IM client so if you do try to add me and I don't respond, ping me via email.
  • Mikel #
    Commented on 06-14-2013 at 9:23 AM
    I like Brackets and I'm definitely enjoying the CF extension (thanks Reto)! One feature request that I have is the ability to collapse code blocks. Or am I simply just overlooking how to do that?
  • Commented on 06-14-2013 at 9:26 AM
    Brackets doesn't support that in general. You should check the backlog for it: http://bit.ly/BracketsBacklog
  • Commented on 06-14-2013 at 9:32 AM
    Thanks for sharing this. I have switch to brackets from coldfusion builder (eclipse is too heavy in my opinion). This will speed up my coding in brackets quite a bit.
  • Commented on 06-14-2013 at 9:36 AM
    I will warn you that Brackets still has a few rough edges. It wasn't until Sprint 25 that you could refresh the sidebar. That being said, I switched over to Brackets full time (mostly) at Sprint 24 and I'm loving it.
  • Tim Brown #
    Commented on 06-14-2013 at 10:30 AM
    Very excited about this but get an extension install error on windows 7. Used extension manager and manually extracted zip, but both resulted in the same extension error message in the extension manager window.
  • Commented on 06-14-2013 at 10:32 AM
    When you open the dev console (Brackets / Debug / Show Developer Tools) do you see a specific error?
  • Tim Brown #
    Commented on 06-14-2013 at 10:40 AM
    Failed to load resource file://theServerName/TerminalServicesHomeDirectory/timbrown/Application%20Data/Brackets/extensions/user/cfbrackets-cf9/CfmlTags.json.js

and many more like it for the other extension files...

Computer is on a domain and my Application Data folder resides on the terminal server. Any way to re-install brackets and/or specifiy a different install location for extensions?
  • Commented on 06-14-2013 at 10:42 AM
    Um... wow. I've got no idea about that. I don't run Windows, but when I did, Brackets installed to a 'normal' folder, I mean the extensions stuff. I've never seen it use a terminal window thingy. Are you running via RDP or something weird?
  • Commented on 06-14-2013 at 10:59 AM
    Is this depending on the html editor used ?
    I am still using Homesite since V3 of CF, and Homesite gives this feature, extactly the same, for all tags.
    But Homesite is dead and not supported anymore,
    So it does not have the extensions for CF9 and 10,
    it stoppped at CF V8.
  • Commented on 06-14-2013 at 11:07 AM
    larde: If you are interested in CF development, you may want to consider ColdFusion Builder. I prefer Brackets as I do much more HTML/JS/CSS work then CF these days. If you haven't checked it out, I recommend doing so. It is free for 30 days, and free after that as well, but some features are removed. Certainly try Brackets as well, but you kinda sound like a person who may prefer CFB.
  • Joe Bermudez #
    Commented on 06-14-2013 at 11:10 AM
    Does brackets have a good FTP extension? I really like that functionality in DW, one of the reasons I'm still using it.
  • Commented on 06-14-2013 at 11:15 AM
    Joe, no. You can see a list of extensions here: https://github.com/adobe/brackets/wiki/Brackets-Ex...

Obviously there may be more extensions than on that list, but that's the list of folks who care to share their extension. :)
  • Tim Brown #
    Commented on 06-14-2013 at 11:21 AM
    @ray - correct me if my my understanding is wrong, but I think this must have something to do with the fact that brackets is loading the extension files via the file:// protocol which doesn't have privileges to access network locations as it is limited to the local file system. A co-worker created/logged into a local vs domain profile and it installed just fine. I will look into ways to bring my %appData% folder location to my local drive and things should work.

Thanks, I'll get this running on my mac tonight!
  • Commented on 06-14-2013 at 11:23 AM
    Tim: I believe you are correct. I use Brackets - I write extensions - but some of it's workings is still magic to me.

Post Reply