Twitter: raymondcamden

Address: Lafayette, LA, USA

JavaScript Design Patterns - My Crazy Plan

03-19-2013 4,164 views JavaScript 6 Comments

I've been toying with an idea for a while now, and I kinda figured if I blogged it, I'd be more motivated to actually do it. I'm currently reading "Learning JavaScript Design Patterns" (associate link below!) by Addy Osmani. I plan on posting a review of it once done. In the meantime though, I'd like to work up some examples of the patterns in "real" applications. Obviously I don't mean client work per se, but, something a bit more concrete than a sample in the book. I'm not sure I can accomplish this for every pattern in the book, but I think it might be fun to try. I don't make any assumptions about how good these examples will be. To be honest, I mainly want to do this to just help me learn the concepts a bit better. But my hope is that it can help others as well.

Related Blog Entries

6 Comments

• Maurits #
    Commented on 03-19-2013 at 2:27 PM
    Good idea! This has also been done for Javascript PureMVC frameworks: http://addyosmani.github.com/todomvc/. I am curious what you come up with.
  • Commented on 03-19-2013 at 5:05 PM
    Looking forward to it too as this is something I've been looking into in terms of having a consistent JavaScript development style thought our teams e.g. Module pattern.
  • Commented on 03-19-2013 at 10:19 PM
    Just bought the book so I might follow along... I write a lot of Javascript - but it's definitely the slowest development work I do, anything I might learn to write it faster/better & get it into production would improve my bottom line - so thank for picking up this albatross.
  • Commented on 03-20-2013 at 9:50 AM
    Go get 'em Ray! I'll be particularly interested in the jQuery sections...
  • Commented on 03-22-2013 at 11:35 AM
    Good thinking. You already started doing? I'm interested in helping out... maybe we could create a github together for this? Only read some parts of the book online. But would like to delve deeper too.
    Already read 2 java minded pattern book though.

Greets

ps: I hope you can see my email... otherwise just google jochen szostek or so... :) grts
  • Commented on 03-22-2013 at 1:24 PM
    To be clear, this is something I want to do myself. Not that I don't want to share - and I definitely want people to comment/criticize/etc, but this exercise is my way of figuring stuff out. Know what I mean? I look at GitHub as a place to share projects, things that will be ongoing. This is simply an education process for me.

Does that make sense?