Twitter: raymondcamden

Address: Lafayette, LA, USA

Welcome to RaymondCamden.com (2013)

02-25-2013 3,025 views Misc 24 Comments

A few weeks ago I warned you that I'd be updating the site with a new design, and this weekend I deployed it. For the most part everything should work the same, but if you encounter any bugs or other problems, let me know.

One of the big changes was the removal of the 'pop up' window for commenting. I now use an inline form that uses Ajax to do validation. That worked well until I needed to reload the page and focus on your comment. Luckily this StackOverflow question demonstrated how to do that: How to force a page to reload if all what was changed in url is hash?

Since this theme is responsive, I've removed the jQuery Mobile subsite. Don't take this as any sign of me going sour on jQuery Mobile. I think the recent 1.3.0 release is the most exciting build yet and both myself and Andy Matthews are working to update our jQuery Mobile book for 1.4. But I just didn't need it anymore here so I removed it.

The only feature really lacking now is a dedicated way to subscribe to comments without actually commenting yourself. I'll probably add that back one day if folks complain, but at the end of the day, if you have to post a quick "Just commenting to subscribe" comment, I won't complain.

Finally, one small feature I like (that people will probably never notice) is the "Recent Commenters" box at the bottom. It simply lists and displays the gravatars of the last few readers who left comments:

I expect some folks will not care for the redesign, which is always the case, but I hope they continue to participate and add to the conversation.

24 Comments

• Tim Leach #
    Commented on 02-25-2013 at 10:51 AM
    I like it.
  • Tim Leach #
    Commented on 02-25-2013 at 10:55 AM
    ..though, I think I like the look of /style/blue.css a little better than the red, more calming.
  • Commented on 02-25-2013 at 10:59 AM
    I may switch to green. Of course, I'd have to regenerate the favicon again.
  • Commented on 02-25-2013 at 12:55 PM
    Looks good, man
  • Commented on 02-25-2013 at 1:23 PM
    I like it Ray. I've been looking into responsive design for a while now but haven't put together enough to do something like this yet. Now I have a goal to catch up to.
  • Commented on 02-25-2013 at 1:31 PM
    I like the new look!
  • Dmitry #
    Commented on 02-25-2013 at 10:44 PM
    The design is gorgeous on desktop but on my iPhone 4 the YouTube screenshot on homepage breaks design, adds around 300 pixels to the right creating horizontal scroll
  • Commented on 02-26-2013 at 5:09 AM
    "Finally, one small feature I like (that people will probably never notice)"

That's one of the first things I noticed, it looks good and it's helpful if you're involved in a conversation.

Nice design, is it still BlogCFC underneath?
  • Commented on 02-26-2013 at 5:14 AM
    @Dmitry: Yeah, that would have broken in jQM as well as far as I know. Not sure yet how to handle that.

@Pete: Yeah.
  • Lola LB #
    Commented on 02-26-2013 at 5:40 AM
    I think the new design looks great! Easy on the eye (except well, the text is a bit on the tiny side, but I can deal with that).
  • Commented on 02-26-2013 at 9:02 AM
    Looks good. Just FYI: I don't think you need two Bootstrap CSS files (I think they consolidated to one file a few version ago).
  • Commented on 02-26-2013 at 9:10 AM
    I'll check. One thing I'm not terribly pleased with is the total "weight" - so if I can reduce it - I want to.
  • Commented on 02-26-2013 at 1:31 PM
    All the white! It burns my eyes!!! jk it looks nice.
  • Commented on 02-26-2013 at 2:41 PM
    I noticed you dropped your captcha and are now using cfformprotect. Nice! :)
  • Commented on 02-26-2013 at 2:42 PM
    I always used it. In fact, I had captcha off before. I forget why I turned it on again. But yeah, don't need it now. :)
  • Commented on 02-26-2013 at 3:34 PM
    I like it
  • Commented on 02-27-2013 at 3:07 PM
    I like the red - very different - green is so last year. Congratz, on the new theme and site layout!
  • Commented on 02-27-2013 at 3:07 PM
    I can switch to green with one URL change. Don't tempt me. ;)
  • David McGuigan #
    Commented on 02-27-2013 at 10:00 PM
    Great redesign Ray. Can you recommend some good resources ( maybe even the ones you used to learn it ) for beginner's responsive design? I've been so back end for so long that I feel pretty beginner but would love to start focusing on front end too like you have. Thanks.

P.S. might want to preselect subscribe in the comments if not both options. You deserve it.
  • Louis #
    Commented on 02-28-2013 at 12:11 PM
    @Ray

Looks great!

@David McGuigan

First check out http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap.

Then check out wrapbootstrap.com. I believe this theme comes from there. I'm currently working on a few themes to sell on the site. They have a live preview of every design so you can get some insight into how to customise a responsive bootstrap design.

Responsive design is actually quite simple once you start getting into it, just use CSS:

@media (min-width: 1000px) {
    .big-styles {
    margin: 15px;
    etc: blah;
    }
    }
    @media (max-width: 800px) {
    .small-styles {
    margin: 5px;
    etc: blah;
    }
    }

... to cover all screen sizes.
  • Commented on 02-28-2013 at 1:00 PM
    Louis, respectfully, I'd disagree. I think you pointed out good examples_, but not necessarily good _learning resources.

I'd get the book based on the article that started it all: http://www.abookapart.com/products/responsive-web-...

There is also this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design...

Also, check out Edge Reflow (http://html.adobe.com/edge/reflow/) for a tool that lets you generate responsive CSS (although be aware it is still in beta).
  • David McGuigan #
    Commented on 02-28-2013 at 1:07 PM
    Thanks guys!! Will check it all out, getting the book immediately.
  • Commented on 03-01-2013 at 2:39 AM