Twitter: raymondcamden

Address: Lafayette, LA, USA

Adobe Shadow

03-07-2012 4,477 views Mobile 11 Comments

A few weeks back I got a preview of a product that was incredible, and I'm happy to see that a public preview was launched last night. Adobe Shadow is a tool that lets you preview and inspect web sites on multiple mobile devices at once. You can use your desktop to drive the web browser on your iOS and Android devices. That by itself would be useful. But you can then also use a Chrome Dev Tools like inspection and editing feature to tweak the DOM of individual devices. None of this probably sounds nearly as cool as it looks, so take a look at the short video below:

You can download (and discuss) this new tool on the Adobe Labs site. You can also follow Adobe Shadow on Twitter and Facebook.

11 Comments

These comments will soon be imported into Disqus. To add a comment, use Disqus above.
  • Commented on 03-07-2012 at 9:50 AM
    Ray, my chrome extension just says "Please Start the Adobe Shadow Application.."

How do it start it? Cant figure it out.
  • Commented on 03-07-2012 at 10:02 AM
    Oh, i think i figured it out. You need more than just the extensions and apps.

• Commented on 03-07-2012 at 10:53 AM
    Glad you figured it out. There are forums for the tool too: http://forums.adobe.com/community/labs/shadow?view...
  • Isaac Sunkes #
    Commented on 03-07-2012 at 12:52 PM
    Super excited, I installed this and...fail. Does not seem to work for jQuery mobile web applications (which is what I want to test). Is this because it can not figure out pages loaded, and clicks that load content via javascript?
  • Commented on 03-07-2012 at 12:54 PM
    Isaac - I'm hearing that too (issue with jQuery Mobile). Remember this just launched... and remember... you should report this on the forums so they can work on it. (I don't work for the product team so I can't really help with bugs. :)
  • Isaac Sunkes #
    Commented on 03-07-2012 at 1:00 PM
    Yea, I tried Facebook and a Google search just to test and that also does not seem to work, this leads me to I think it is an issue with updating content loaded via JS.

Once I click off a tab in chrome and then click back on it the page even if loaded via JS is rendered on the device, just from a click in the browser.
  • Isaac Sunkes #
    Commented on 03-07-2012 at 1:01 PM
    opps...I meant "not from a click in the browser"
  • Commented on 03-07-2012 at 1:04 PM
    I'll let you know if I find out anything.
  • Commented on 03-09-2012 at 11:28 AM
    The javascript (ajax load) question came up in a demo I saw. The answer from the Shadow team was that it will not work currently. Shadow only updates the devices based on a change in the address bar of the driving browser.
  • Commented on 03-09-2012 at 11:35 AM
    Thanks for the update Dave. Well, even w/ that, I think this is going to be an incredibly powerful tool. I got it working locally over my iPad2, XOOM, and HTC Inspire, and it was pretty damn cool.
  • Commented on 03-16-2012 at 1:03 PM
    Hi - Raymond is correct that not refreshing on JS events is a known issue/limitation in Shadow Labs Release 1. It is a tricky feature, because the DOM on every device is different, and elements have different IDs, etc. We haven't given up on solving this, and hope to support it in a future version.

Bruce Bowman, @brucebowman