Twitter: raymondcamden

Address: Lafayette, LA, USA

jQuery Mobile presentation

03-04-2011 10,443 views Mobile, jQuery 14 Comments

Ouch. It's been a long time since I've had technical issues at a presentation so I guess I was due, but... ouch. I apologize to everyone in the room who had to suffer through the initial part of the presentation. Thankfully a reboot and a tip from an attendee (thanks Simon Notsureofyourlastname!) I was able to get moving again. I think though that people "got" the message. jQuery Mobile is magic. Seriously. One person told me afterwards that it was "scary" how easy jQuery Mobile is.

My plan is to start blogging about this a lot more. I was holding back until after this presentation since many of the examples I want to share come from the demos I built there. I'm also planning on asking Charlie Arehart if I can give this presentation to the Online meetup soon.

You can view the slides below and download the examples via the embedded menu. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

14 Comments

• Commented on 03-04-2011 at 6:55 AM
    I haven't work much with mobile jQuery, Use in one my iPhone application where I want to display page from server instead of native form.
    I think creating or extending widget is make lots of thing easier for us. Recently worked on extending Listview to render data from coldfusion query (JSON format) and it work great and love too.
    Soon I will post on this.
    Look for your presentation on meetup :)
  • Commented on 03-04-2011 at 7:33 AM
    Why did you have to extend the listview? Seems like if you've got the UL there already and just add options after your ajax call it should work fine. Not that I've tried this myself.
  • Commented on 03-04-2011 at 8:08 AM
    Just a quick note - my code examples do NOT make use of the minimized resource files. That wasn't intentional. I also figure it isn't a big deal. But do know that minimized versions exist.
  • smanke #
    Commented on 03-04-2011 at 9:28 AM
    I would love to see the full presentation, if you have a video of the talk or something. The slides are great, but that would really be interesting.

On as side note, I like how the select menus change in jQM. But I found that I could not get them to work with CFDIV areas unless I disabled the sexy select menu and went back to standard HTML selects. Any idea of a workaround?
  • Commented on 03-04-2011 at 9:30 AM
    I would not recommend mixing CFAjax UI stuff w/ jQuery. Can you remove the cfdiv and replace it with native jQuery code?
  • smanke #
    Commented on 03-04-2011 at 10:11 AM
    Good thought. I'm really new to jQuery. I'll give that a try. In all honesty, I'm so new, I need to read up on how to do that.

I had looked at jQuery alternatives to CF ajax stuff like cfwindow. But when it came to cfwindow, it seemed I could not do some useful paramaters like:
    <cfwindow refreshonshow="true" destroyonclose="true/false" ...

I really like the flexibility jQuery brings, but some of those features were problems I could not find a workaround for.
  • Commented on 03-05-2011 at 12:28 AM
    @Ray,
    That's true we can add options after ajax call but jQuery doesn't apply css in that case. We require to refresh with listview object. Also I always need to do repetitive code to convert return JSON format to display properly.
    Basically I made it learn how to extend mobile widget.
  • Commented on 03-05-2011 at 5:37 AM
    Hi Ray,
    Was a great preso, I was amazed at how easy the code came together to create mobile optimised sites. I kept waiting for the bit where you announced it was all a bit of a joke, and nothing could be quite as straight forward. (But that never came)

It looks like they have really thought about creating a decent framework around semantic markup, rather than the usual slightly tech orientated designs of the past.
  • Commented on 03-05-2011 at 3:03 PM
    Awesome presentation Ray and given me a whole heap load of ideas of what I can implement onto a mobile web app :D
  • Commented on 03-06-2011 at 8:15 PM
    Great. I've briefly changed my blog mobile version from jqTouch to jQueryMobile since last 3 months. I feel it's cool and hope blogCFC mobile next mobile version will be based on jQueryMobile.

• Martin #
    Commented on 03-07-2011 at 8:47 AM
    Hi Ray

This was an awesome presentation and one of my favourites at SOTR2011 - thanks. jQueryMobile is magic.
    Is there any chance of making the demo code examples you used available as well (especially to help tie in with the Slides)?

Cheers
    Martin

ps Hope you got to try some of the BrewDog.com beers in Edinburgh.
  • Commented on 03-07-2011 at 8:50 AM
    I did make them available. :) Click the Menu in the embedded Flash above.
  • Martin #
    Commented on 03-07-2011 at 8:50 AM
    ooops - sorry. I missed the download link in the Slide-Six menu.
    Cheers again
    Marty
  • Commented on 03-07-2011 at 8:52 AM
    @ppshein: Dave Ferguson (who built the jqtouch BlogCFC mobile), is already working on the jQuery Mobile version. No release date yet, but soon, and it looks MUCH better.

Post Reply