Twitter: raymondcamden

Address: Lafayette, LA, USA

Officer Roseland offers a unique take on 'Stimulus Package'

02-18-2009 6,166 views Music 6 Comments

I don't blog about music too often here, but I figured this was a special case. I first heard of Officer Roseland when Brian Jones pinged me. He was using BlogCFC for their band blog so I asked for a sample of his music. He gladly obliged, and I was pretty impressed. Very much an indie band, reminding me a bit of the 80s, but more Pixies than synth pop. As a sample:

Today the band released their 4th album, Stimulus Package. Unlike other bands who release their music for free and sell physical CDs or other extras, Officer Roseland is doing something unique. When you ask to download their album, you can choose to either GIVE or TAKE. If you GIVE, the band will donate to a charity. If you TAKE, they will send you a dollar. Seriously. They will pay you to download their music.

I know zip about the music business so I have no idea how well this will work, but I can definitely recommend folks give their new album a try. (It sounds much more polished then the embedded video above.)

6 Comments

• Commented on 02-18-2009 at 9:25 AM
    what an interesting concept! it's enough to at least peak my interest anyway. hmm.
  • Jeff #
    Commented on 02-18-2009 at 12:38 PM
    political rant deleted

LOL! What an interesting concept. It would be nice if I could just take the music for free without having to give or take a dollar! That's too much responsibility, can't I just steal it instead?

sigh*
  • KC #
    Commented on 02-18-2009 at 10:55 PM
    That is interesting..hopefully no one is taking advantage of this. By the way, they need some error handling on that site.
  • Commented on 02-19-2009 at 9:15 AM
    You don't have to pay, Jeff. They give you $1, or they give $1 to charity. You're choosing who one gets it.

Neat idea.
  • Jeff #
    Commented on 02-20-2009 at 10:07 AM
    JC, it was a joke :)
  • Commented on 02-21-2009 at 6:00 AM
    Officer Roseland are a cool band and I don't even get paid to say that, oh wait I do now :D
    Seriously the songs "Spiders" and "we Want Your Money" are classy songs and the album is great.

Post Reply