Twitter: raymondcamden

Address: Lafayette, LA, USA

BlogCFC and Galleon updates

05-22-2008 9,147 views ColdFusion 27 Comments

I had decided to not work anymore on BlogCFC 5, but with 6 being delayed so long, I gave some love to the 5.X code base tonight. BlogCFC 5.9.003 was released tonight. Nothing major was changed, but I did switch to ColdFish, the code syntax highlighter written by Jason Delmore. This replaces the ancient code I had in there before.

Also released was an update to Galleon. This release fixes an issue related to the past security changes as well as a case sensitivity issue. (Sorry, but you will never convince me case sensitive file systems make sense. Who in the heck wants a file named foo.txt and Foo.txt??)

I also want to point out an interesting article by Ike: Porting Galleon Forums. He is porting Galleon to various frameworks and will be posting about the process.

27 Comments

• Commented on 05-23-2008 at 9:31 AM
    speaking of case sensitivity, this is one of the most popular entries on the onTap framework blog: http://ontap.riaforge.org/blog/index.cfm/2007/12/2...
  • Commented on 05-23-2008 at 12:07 PM
    @Ray,
    After I upgraded, I'm experiencing a new problem when using // in the code. What's strange is some of my code sections have disappeared and others have merged together.
  • Commented on 05-23-2008 at 12:12 PM
    Please email me directly some sample entries I can use to test. It's a new code renderer so there is bound to be an issue - and it may be my fault, not the code renderer.
  • Commented on 05-23-2008 at 9:46 PM
    @Ray,
    Thanks for your help earlier today. I appreciate it.
  • Commented on 05-24-2008 at 7:59 AM
    No worries. I've got another small bug to fix (ColdFish is cf8 only, so I need to add detection), and that will be in a new build on Tuesday.
  • Commented on 05-24-2008 at 8:53 PM
    Where can I find an older version BlogCFC that will work on CF7?
  • Commented on 05-24-2008 at 8:56 PM
    You would have to get it piece by piece, but you can do so via subversion.
  • Commented on 05-24-2008 at 9:27 PM
    Really? Ouch! Okay, I'll give that a try! I'm guessing I can just go back to before the integration of ColdFish for cf7 compatibility...
  • Commented on 05-25-2008 at 6:49 AM
    Yeah, let me just apologize. In my excitement I didn't even think to check.
  • Commented on 05-27-2008 at 11:20 AM
    Mike, if you get latest from SVN, ColdFish has been updated (by Jason, thanks Jason!) for mx compat. Can please try it and let me know?
  • Commented on 06-03-2008 at 3:56 PM
    Glad I subscribed to this blog - Downloaded the archive today and it crashed miserably under 7 and ran great under 8 - then found this not about grabbing a new version of codefish from the SVN and voila! FIXED

Thanks for all you do, Ray. Cya at CFUNITED!
  • Commented on 06-08-2008 at 8:51 AM
    We're using the comment moderation option. Is there a way to have a new comment to be moderated sent to the administrator or another designated email address? Thanks!
  • Commented on 06-08-2008 at 10:05 AM
    It is sent. All comments are emailed to the admin.
  • Commented on 06-08-2008 at 10:57 AM
    Thanks Ray. Is the simple captcha effective in preventing auto spammers from getting through? Or can one add more letters (and thus complexity) to the captcha?
  • Commented on 06-08-2008 at 12:44 PM
    In my own personal experience the CAPTCHA has helped. I still get spam, but only about 2 per day or so.
  • Commented on 06-08-2008 at 2:12 PM
    Thanks for that. Has someone come up with a pod for blogcfc that is like the blogger.com archive feature? It's a tree directory organized by year and month
    (indentation is off on the below cut and paste)

Blog Archive
    ? 2008 (100)
    ? June (5)
    Weekend Video
    Let Freedom Bling
    A Conundrum
    Not Alexander Rodchenko (but almost)
    Pictures from a Train
    Be There (or be square)
    ? March (13)
    ? February (17)
    ? January (20)
    ? 2007 (37)
  • Commented on 06-08-2008 at 2:20 PM
    Sorry, the graphics such as > and > rotated 90 degrees clockwise did not translate in the above comment.
  • Commented on 06-08-2008 at 2:40 PM
    Not that I'm aware of. It could be done of course.
  • Commented on 06-08-2008 at 2:54 PM
    Ok, thanks. Are tags for the tag cloud called categories in the admin?
  • Richard Steele #
    Commented on 06-08-2008 at 7:37 PM
    I can't get a feed, magazine.cfm, to show up in the newsfeed pod.

Here's the code for magazine.cfm:

<cfcontent reset="true"><cfsetting enablecfoutputonly="true"><cfcontent type="application/xml; charset=utf-8">
    <cfquery name="magazinerss" datasource="mydsn">
       Select * from magazine
    rss order by datepublished desc
    </cfquery>

<pubDate>#datepublished#</pubDate>
    </item>
    </cfloop>
    </channel>
    </rss></cfoutput><cfsetting enablecfoutputonly="false">

New York Times feed works great, however it has a file extension of .xml

Do I need to compile this magazine.cfm and output it as a magazine.xml file? If so, how is that done?

Many thanks.
  • Commented on 06-08-2008 at 9:58 PM
    How exactly are you using the feed? You should be using the URL of the feed. So if your blog is at www.foo.com, and magazine.cfm is on some box, www.goo.com, then you would use the feed url of

www.goo.com/magazine.cfm" target="_blank">www.goo.com/magazine.cfm
  • Richard Steele #
    Commented on 06-09-2008 at 7:38 AM
    Yes, the feed code is as follows:
    <cfset theURL = "http://mysite.com/rss/magazine.cfm">;
  • Commented on 06-09-2008 at 8:39 AM
    @Rixon Reed - yes

@Richard Steele - Ok, so open that URL in your browser. If you see a valid RSS feed then it should work in the blog too. Don't forget that we cache the front end, so hit your blog with ?reinit=1.
  • Richard Steele #
    Commented on 06-09-2008 at 8:52 AM
    yes it's valid, but no it doesn't show as a feed.
  • Commented on 06-09-2008 at 9:03 AM
    So what happens? Nothing? Have you tried adding some debugging?
  • Commented on 08-10-2008 at 3:09 PM
    Just FYI for anyone interested, the final frameworks article is at http://www.woohooligan.com/frameworks/ - download the source if you want to get the full effect of the sub-article about cfform tho -- that's not a cf hosting account. I may move it to the ontap site once I set up the new site on hostmysite probably this week.
  • Commented on 11-24-2008 at 3:59 PM
    @Richard Steele / Ray Camden

I had the same problem: couldn't get the newsfeed pod to correctly display a .cfm feed. The feed is completely valid and works in all feed readers. The quick solution I used was to save the output of that .cfm file and write a .xml file just like Richard mentioned above. The code I used is quite simple:

<!--- save the output of our feed.cfm into a variable --->
    <cfsavecontent variable="myFeed"><cfinclude template="feed.cfm"></cfsavecontent>

<!--- display it (optional) --->
    <cfoutput>
    #myFeed#
    </cfoutput>

<!--- write the variable into a .xml file --->
    <cffile action="write"
    output="#myFeed#"
    file="#ExpandPath('path/feed.xml')#">

You can run this with a scheduler or attach it to the operation that adds items to your original feed. Then configure the pod to read from the .xml file and it will work just fine.

(I realize this is months late and a clunky solution, but oh well)

Post Reply