Twitter: raymondcamden

Address: Lafayette, LA, USA

Cloverfield is...

01-20-2008 5,893 views Movies 25 Comments

Amazing. Simply amazing. I'm going to keep this super short and sweet. Why? Going into the film, I had read next to nothing about it. I knew it was from Lost creator JJ Abrams. I knew it was a "monster" film. But that was it. I avoided any spoilers and I'm very happy I did so.

Cloverfied is a monster film - but much like Lost isn't just a sci fi show, Cloverfield is much, much more. I definitely recommend going out and seeing it - and again - avoid any spoilers.

Two unrelated notes. In front of the film they played the trailer for the new Star Trek film. I had had my doubts about it based on what I've read online, but I'm now totally psyched about it. It is also from J.J. and I think he can do a great job with the material. Also - in the theater itself was a sign for The Happening, Shyamalan's new film. Supposedly it involves a natural catastrophe of some sort. Frankly, there is no possible way it could suck more than Lady in the Water, so hopefully this movie will be an improvement.

25 Comments

• John #
    Commented on 01-20-2008 at 12:08 PM
    +1, I loved it. My only complaint, and it's very minor is that I had to close my eyes a couple of times so I wouldn't get dizzy. That cam corder motion got me a few times.

PS

Do never walk in scary tunnels in the dark. I mean never.
  • Commented on 01-20-2008 at 1:13 PM
    They say Cloverfied is a street in L.A.
  • Commented on 01-20-2008 at 1:36 PM
    Hey Ray,
    Same here, saw it Friday night, at first the shaky cam thing was bit to get used to but... It really did work for this film! I loved this movie and for those who are on the fence to see it please do yourselves a favor and not wait to see it on DVD, "This movie is best seen in a theater". No spoilers from me, just an endorsement to go see it, well spent money.
  • Jeff #
    Commented on 01-20-2008 at 2:30 PM
    John: Yeah that's definitely something people who are going to see it should know about: the constant movement of the camera. At the theater I was at there was "evidence", at the restrooms, of how strongly it affected some people. If you easily suffer from motion sickness, take something right before and then enjoy the ride :)

My only complaint about it was the MPAA rating. To me there was quite a bit that would be too much for a 13 yr old (girl behind the curtain at the medical setup anyone?). But that's just me. I think even with an R rating it still would've brought in the record $41 million that the news outlets are reporting.
  • Tony #
    Commented on 01-20-2008 at 3:29 PM
    Hmmm....On Friday night on the local news (Boston) they had someone "on the street" talking to moviegoers as they were coming out of Cloverfield and pretty much everyone said it was terrible (a lot of them talked about the motion sickness from the jerky camera work). I guess it's one of those movies you either love or hate.
  • Commented on 01-20-2008 at 3:40 PM
    @Tony - I noticed people complaining as well, and my wife really didn't care for it at all. I think you are right. Blair Witch had the same reaction. Oddly - even though I do get motion sick pretty easy (I really need to get my eyes checked), I didn't feel a thing at the movie.
  • Commented on 01-20-2008 at 3:42 PM
    !!!! You didn't like Lady in the Water? For shame...j/k! Just out of curiosity, how come?
  • Commented on 01-20-2008 at 3:51 PM
    @ex...

It was boring for me. It had a few nice things, but in general it was boring as heck for me. I really enjoyed Signs, and even The Village.
  • Commented on 01-20-2008 at 4:17 PM
    Watched it last night; wasn't great really... Thought it was a great idea, but I didn't do it it for me ... got somewhat bored, really predictable. It was supposed to keep me in the edge, similar to the blair witch, but they could not achieve it.
    @Ray, I loved signs too, but I hated the village.
  • Commented on 01-20-2008 at 4:20 PM
    Just got back from seeing it and I enjoyed it also. Like some others have said, the first few minutes I didn't know if I was going to sit through all of it but then I forgot about it after the movie got going.

Did hear a lady on her way out saying it was the worst film she had ever saw and they should be embarrassed for not being able to afford real cameramen.
  • Commented on 01-20-2008 at 4:32 PM
    Big monster...shaking camera...sounds like Blair Witch meets Godzilla. I'll see it with some friends...remembering to bring a barf bag hahaha
  • Commented on 01-20-2008 at 4:41 PM
    I have to agree, Ray. My wife and I saw it last night, and we both loved it. I really like the way J.J. Abrams did the whole thing. For those who complain about the camera movement...why? I just don't get it. I highly recommend seeing this film.
  • Commented on 01-20-2008 at 5:33 PM
    I saw it late Friday night after happy hour and dinner with some friends. Heard some rumbling from the masses that didn't like it.

After checking out some forum discussions Saturday afternoon, I went to see it again Saturday night. This time was at a mall theater and the teen brigade definitely did not like the movie at all.

I thought it was brilliant all the way through. Even the second time around I was still on edge in certain scenes.

And if you didn't stay until the end credits were complete, you'll have to next time.
  • Commented on 01-20-2008 at 5:41 PM
    what? I freaking left when the first credit rolled.
  • Tony #
    Commented on 01-20-2008 at 8:53 PM
    @Ray,
    Well, I liked Blair witch, so I'd say it's safe that I'll go see this one regardless of what those people on TV said. Hopefully, no one will give away too much before then!
  • Commented on 01-20-2008 at 9:07 PM
    ScottP - I think Adrian is wrong. There is something to look for - but it is at the very end of the film, not after the credits. (AFAIK) I won't say it here - even though it's not terribly important, but if you Wikipedia the movie, you will see what you missed. I missed it too - but my wife saw it.
  • Commented on 01-20-2008 at 9:55 PM
    These shaky-shot movies always do the strangest things to me. I feel like I'm gonna barf, then I walk out of the theater and I'm incredibly hungry. Happened with Blair Witch... happened with Cloverfield.

I thought it was an ok movie but with my eyes shut 3/4 of the time it's hard to know for sure. Every time I watched for more then 5 minutes I got nauseous.

At the end of the movie, most folks around me demanded their their money back. They said, "That's it???"
  • Commented on 01-20-2008 at 10:11 PM
    Ugh...The Village was awful...

Of course when you figure out the plot within about 15 minutes it can tend to be a boring movie...
  • Commented on 01-20-2008 at 10:24 PM
    @Ray, there's what you're talking about, plus something after the credits.
  • Commented on 01-20-2008 at 10:32 PM
    Dang. Adrian, or anyone else, would you please email me, do not post a comment, but email me, what shows up after the credits?
  • Commented on 01-21-2008 at 8:44 AM
    Here is a link for the audio heard at the end or the end credits.

• Commented on 01-24-2008 at 9:30 AM
    This movie gave me some serious motion sickness. Starting at about 20 minutes into it, I started to feel totally nauseous which persisted for the remainder of the film. This really made it hard to enjoy.
  • Commented on 01-24-2008 at 9:36 AM
    That's really odd. As I said - I can get pretty motion sick sometimes, but this film didn't do it to me. Maybe it's where I sat.
  • Commented on 01-24-2008 at 9:39 AM
    I was pretty hungry and tired when I saw it. I definitely felt like that contributed to my uneasyiness.
  • Dan B #
    Commented on 01-28-2008 at 8:39 AM
    I went to see it with 7 other guys over the weekend and I was amongst the minority who ended up liking it.

Post Reply