Twitter: raymondcamden

Address: Lafayette, LA, USA

New Music - Saint Etienne

08-11-2005 6,829 views Music 9 Comments

Well, not "new" per se, but new to me. I've recently fallen in love with a band called Saint Etienne. They seem to be a mix of pop, funk, and just plain unique sounds. I especially like "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" and "Like a Motorway." If you are looking for something different, check them out. (I'd recommend: Smash The System Singles 1990-94 for a good sampling.)

9 Comments

• Brian Rinaldi #
    Commented on 08-11-2005 at 11:55 AM
    Personally I love the album "Finisterre". If you haven't, you might also like to check out Sarah Cracknell's solo CD "Kelly's Locker" (she is the singer from Saint Etienne for anyone curious).
  • David Maddison #
    Commented on 08-11-2005 at 3:37 PM
    Saint Etienne was the sound track to my University years :-).

"So Tough" (1993) is an EXCELLENT album in which tracks are stitched together with some excellent (and funny) samples. Two tracks from this album "Mario's Cafe" and "Hobart Paving" are perfect for a hot summers night favourites.
  • Mike Brunt #
    Commented on 08-11-2005 at 3:50 PM
    Yes I like St Etienne also and I recently got into Noterc Collective, their stuff is a bit more Electronic but has that nice coding style unobtrusiveness.
  • Robi #
    Commented on 08-12-2005 at 1:05 AM
    I used to listen to them in the early 90's allot. My favorite was always the song Spring.
  • robi #
    Commented on 08-12-2005 at 1:05 AM
    So are you like going indie? whats next the Unicorns and Slint? Maybe the Beautiful South? :-)
  • Raymond Camden #
    Commented on 08-12-2005 at 9:11 AM
    robi: Heh, I've always liked indie music. I've been listening to WOXY a lot over the last month or so, and they recently added a 'vintage' channel. Great stuff.
  • Paul #
    Commented on 08-12-2005 at 11:51 PM
    If you enjoy Saint Etienne here are a few more DJs/Bands you would love. It makes for fantastic coding musica:

Miguel Migs/Naked Music
    Kaskade
    Thievery Corporation
    Cafe Del Mar Series
    Hotel Costes
    Tosca
    Jassanova

Miguel Migs and Kaskade are a little faster, but include Jazzy beats with House music. I couldn't code without them.

Paul www.cfscripter.com
  • Ali Awan #
    Commented on 08-17-2005 at 1:34 PM
    Good Humor and Sound of Water are albums worth checking out too. Good Humor is more retro sounding, along the lines of the singles album. Sound of Water is a little bit more up to date, sounding a lot more current electronica.

I saw them twice, and met Sarah Cracknell, not only is she beautiful, (I was a blubbering idiot and drooling the whole time) but she is so down to earth and so easy to talk to.

cheers,
    Ali
  • Commented on 12-21-2007 at 11:32 AM
    HI, My favorite was always the song Spring too.

Post Reply