Twitter: raymondcamden

Address: Lafayette, LA, USA

Music for Throwing Muses Fans...

12-20-2005 6,868 views Music 9 Comments

I've always been a big fan of Throwing Muses, so it was quite a delight to here a track from the new band by Kristin Hersh on WOXY a few days ago. (If you like alternative/indie music, WOXY is a gift from God.) I was even happier to find out that her new band, 50Footwave, has an entire EP for free download. You can find the tracks here. The tracks are pretty good I think and you can't beat the price.

Musically I haven't heard much lately that has impressed me. The new Depeche Mode CD is... ok... but it is unfortunate that no other track comes even close to "Precious". When I heard that I thought I was in for a return of the "old" Depeche Mode, but it wasn't to be.

I'm not a big drum and bass fan, but a friend sent me Pendulum - and that is quite nice. If you have even a passing interest in drum and base, I'd check it out.

9 Comments

• Commented on 12-20-2005 at 2:01 PM
    The link in my email is going to the previous post.
  • Commented on 12-20-2005 at 2:08 PM
    Can you send me your email/
  • Commented on 12-20-2005 at 3:02 PM
    It's working now.
  • Nolan #
    Commented on 12-20-2005 at 4:01 PM
    FWIW, I am really enjoying the new Depeche Mode. Though there aren't many "old style" songs on the new CD, they are playing quite a few old gems on the current tour (at the show I saw, we heard "a question of time", "everything counts", "enjoy the silence", "just can't get enough" and others).

I posted my "top 10 CDs of the year" on my blog a few weeks ago. It's mostly things that qualify as "alternative" to 1 degree or another. You might enjoy a band or 2 from here...

1. the mountain goats - the sunset tree
    2. gratitude
    3. depeche mode - playing the angel
    4. mike park - north hangook falling
    5. deathray - believe me
    6. shelby sifers - yeah and i'm in love too
    7. jack's mannequin - everything in transit
    8. paul mccartney - chaos and creation in the backyard
    9. the revolution smile - summer ever
    10. garbage - bleed like me

honorable mentions:
    the brodys - stuck
    the kimberly trip - you'll get nothing and like it
    eels - blinking lights and other revelations
    the high speed scene - s/t
  • Commented on 12-20-2005 at 4:11 PM
    How can any list of 10 best albums not include Distintegration from the Cure? Or any Beck? You are insane! ;)
  • Nolan #
    Commented on 12-20-2005 at 4:15 PM
    Well, a) these were my top 10 of 2005, not overall, and b) i hate Beck. :)
  • john #
    Commented on 12-20-2005 at 10:41 PM
    Awesome! Its been a few years since I last dusted off The Real Ramona. I need to get that disc back in the rotation. I don't know if you would be into underworld or not, but the guys sponsor a pretty cool station. http://www.dirtyradio.net/ you might find some new groves there. Thanks again for mentioning Throwing Muses.
  • Damien #
    Commented on 12-21-2005 at 9:27 AM
    A word of advice if you've liked Coldplay, just pay for the tracks Talk and Speed Of Sound on iTunes and skip the whole album, the rest of it is nowhere near as good as their previous work. For a group who's last album I liked so much, the new one was a major disappointment. I got my wife the DM CD for xmas so we'll see how that one sounds...
  • Commented on 12-21-2005 at 2:35 PM
    Thanx for the link to the free stuff... I love Throwing Muses! Have loved them for years (back when almost no one in the UK had heard of them!).

Post Reply